PDA

View Full Version : Spending Time on the Forum

Lunx
February 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
I discovered the joys of Ubuntu a month ago, and discovered Ubuntu Forums the day after that!!! Since then I've been dropping in and out of the forum constantly each day as I look for info to help me get on terms with the OS and Linux in general.

The thing I find is I come here with the intention of finding out about some particular matter, only to have some interesting thread title catch my eye, and before you know it I'm completely side-tracked and off on a tangent......

So how do others spend time here? How often do you drop in and how long do you spend logged in? Are you an in, search, ask, find and out again type of person, or more the sort that comes in with the intention of finding out about plugins for LaTex, only to realise ten minutes later that you're reading a thread discussing the merits of using Python over C++ for some obscure application? Do you find yourself saying "I'll just have a quick read through the recent posts in <insert name of frivolous thread here>?"

Well, now I've wasted five minutes penning a pointless post, it's time to go do...

kk0sse54
February 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Ubuntuforums has fantastic support, but I usually find myself spending time in the Other OS sub-forum, partly because I think the quality of the discussion in the Community Cafe has dropped off a bit.

dragos240
February 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
I find myself almost everyday posting here at the forums. An Awesome friendly community we have here isn't it? :D

Sealbhach
February 1st, 2009, 03:37 AM
I look in here every day, usually look in the Community Cafe and also in the Absolute Beginners (sometime, occasionally I find someone I can help).

If I want to find out how to do something on Ubuntu I always search on Google for "ubuntuforums + search terms". You usually find an answer or even a simple how-to guide very quickly that way.

Lunx
February 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
...If I want to find out how to do something on Ubuntu I always search on Google for "ubuntuforums + search terms". You usually find an answer or even a simple how-to guide very quickly that way.

That's one thing I love about Ubuntu, Linux and open source in general, the amount of quality information freely available if you put in a bit of time searching it out. As I mentioned in OP, I'm only new to Linux and Ubuntu, but very familiar with Open Source/GPL software. I find it's often easier to learn than proprietry applications because there's so much info. I find if I'm trying something new and challenging, I often can't comprehend the installed helpfiles and documentation, or many of the "official" tutorials for that mattter. I don't know how often I've struggled to understand a particular concept, only to come across the same information elsewhere, and find the author is on my wavelength and explains things in a way I easily understand. Many of the truly helpfull things I've come across have often been found on some very obscure blog written by someone with no other qualifications than their passion for using that particular software, and a willingness to share that knowledge and passion.