PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No compiz and ati radeon mobility x1600 driver not functioning properly on 8.10

KaYnemO
February 1st, 2009, 01:13 AM
(8.10 Intrepid Ibex) After a clean install and no matter what drivers I install - still no compiz (dektop effects could not be enabled message showing when trying to activate), no setup panel for compiz whatsoever and the ati card acts strange. Also WINE wouldn't run any previously well ran programs and installations. Please help, 'cause I used to rely on this machine and distro before now and I need it for work!!!!

nilanath
February 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have been exactly the same problems with the same graphics card. The only way compiz seems to be going to work is to download the executable file from the ati/amd website, and build the ubuntu package (the program explains the process). Then the driver can't be activated, but after some figuring, compiz is started. There are two issues however, first is, that window borders aren't displayed properly, and when I reboot, the driver is disabled. PRocess by now, unistalling the installed packages, and the installing the recommended packages (in synapsis) does not work. I seem to be able to activate the driver, but a reboot is required, after which the driver is not activated at all.

N.