PDA

View Full Version : A little script I wrote to help with small hard drives

tom66
February 1st, 2009, 01:03 AM
I don't know if this has been written before, but I wrote it because I have quite a small laptop hard drive, at 35 GB. This python script looks at some caches and checks apt's autoremove and cache to see if anything can be done about your lack of disk space. It presents you with a list of areas which can be freed and then allows you to remove the files in those areas. If anyone knows of anymore cache areas which can easily be removed, please let me know.

It's experimental, and comes with no warranty (GPL v2); it's also beta and might delete important files accidentally (this is why by default it asks you about deleting every file - you can override this with the -f option). I've had no ill effects from running this to date.

Removing cache files will slow down your computer somewhat - but if you're in a snitch for saving disk space, then this is useful.

Enjoy and please comment.

Oh and if you have a big hard drive, you're lucky, and this program is not really for you.

Vadi
February 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
There was some other program that did this too, but I forgot it's name :\

urukrama
February 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM
I have quite a small laptop hard drive, at 35 GB.

That's almost three times the size of one of my computers and nearly double the size of my main computer! :D

tom66
February 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have a 5 GB disk in one of my computers, but I don't use that one much.