PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tired of looking for a direct answer.

gilloz
January 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
I have a new computer with Vista 64 preinstalled. I want to know if installing my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 CD (I guess is 32 bit) will work without any problems, OR, should I download a 64 bit version, if there is one. So far, all I have seen are 64 bit pointing to AMD64 machines. Mine is an Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo and have found nothing to point that this AMD64 program will work on an Intel base mobo/machine. Anybody?

Added info: The 64 bit ISO's to download all have the nomanclature of AMD64 in the file, which is confusing me. That's not hard for me to do.

avtolle
January 31st, 2009, 10:53 PM
The 32 bit Ubuntu will work fine, although if you have RAM>4 gigs, the excess will not be accessed directly. The 64 bit will work on your Intel system; it is my understanding that as AMD was first with 64-bit, by convention the release for 64 bit processors are labeled AMD, but as the instruction set is standardized, it will work whether the processor is Intel or AMD. HTH.

Pumalite
January 31st, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo with amd64 (which I prefer: lightning fast!). Others might prefer 32 bit.

gilloz
January 31st, 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. Can't be anymore direct than that. I appeciate your responses. I'm good to go.