PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get ubuntu live cd to work

Themaverick
January 31st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ok... where to start.

I have had ubuntu 7.10 installed in the past along with xp as a dual boot. But now i only have xp on my 80gig HD, and trying to dual boot again with ubuntu.

I have tried loading with a live cd from 6.10 to 7.10 again, to 8.10 and ubuntu ultimate edition. Something has changed to my system between reformating a while back. Because i did have my computer dual booted with ubuntu but i reformated to only xp and never tried dual booting again. I have tried installing all versions within windows and rebooting and it always freezes at the end of the booting screen with about 2 bars left to load, and i have waited forever to see if any errors would come up but nothing comes up. and i also alt F1 so i can see everything load, and it seems to stop loading when it trys to load ubiquity. I have tried boot with all the different boot opions such as noapic and such, and no luck with any of those options. It still freezes. Sometimes it would go passed the boot screen with just a blinking ( | <<this) in the top left corner.

I have a feeling it might be something with my hardware but im not sure because i use have 7.10 dual booted with xp, but now i cant get any version to boot from the cd or anything. The cd i used to boot from a long time ago and was successful with is the same one i have tried along with other versions and no luck.

I really wish i could provide a error or something but no error comes up. If anyone has delt with a issue like this please post anything that might be of help or if theres something i could change in my bios that might be causing something. Plz help. plz. i really miss ubuntu. Thank you in advanced.

I have also tried to use all the Ctrol alt F keys to look for a error message and never get one.

I did try turning off APIC on my bios along with apic=off boot option and it did complete the booting screen but left me with a blank screen and still no error messages.

dragos240
January 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Ok... where to start.

I have had ubuntu 7.10 installed in the past along with xp as a dual boot. But now i only have xp on my 80gig HD, and trying to dual boot again with ubuntu.

I have tried loading with a live cd from 6.10 to 7.10 again, to 8.10 and ubuntu ultimate edition. Something has changed to my system between reformating a while back. Because i did have my computer dual booted with ubuntu but i reformated to only xp and never tried dual booting again. I have tried installing all versions within windows and rebooting and it always freezes at the end of the booting screen with about 2 bars left to load, and i have waited forever to see if any errors would come up but nothing comes up. and i also alt F1 so i can see everything load, and it seems to stop loading when it trys to load ubiquity. I have tried boot with all the different boot opions such as noapic and such, and no luck with any of those options. It still freezes. Sometimes it would go passed the boot screen with just a blinking ( | <<this) in the top left corner.

I have a feeling it might be something with my hardware but im not sure because i use have 7.10 dual booted with xp, but now i cant get any version to boot from the cd or anything. The cd i used to boot from a long time ago and was successful with is the same one i have tried along with other versions and no luck.

I really wish i could provide a error or something but no error comes up. If anyone has delt with a issue like this please post anything that might be of help or if theres something i could change in my bios that might be causing something. Plz help. plz. i really miss ubuntu. Thank you in advanced.

I have also tried to use all the Ctrol alt F keys to look for a error message and never get one.

I did try turning off APIC on my bios along with apic=off boot option and it did complete the booting screen but left me with a blank screen and still no error messages.

Hmm, are you using this computer right now? There could be a CD error which you can check, anyway, if it keeps crashing, and your planning on wiping everything, try downloading parted magic and erasing the partition, then create an ext2 or ext3 on your computer, try that if your planning on wiping everything, if your not then try the cd disk check when it boots into the cd, it might be because it's a faulty cd.

Themaverick
January 31st, 2009, 09:50 PM
i dont thinks its faulty cds because i have used two of the cds in the past and they work find with vmware. But that did cross my mind of just reformating xp, cause it might something inside there thats causeing it, i really dont know.

Yes i am using this computer right now. on xp.

yah. ill try the check disk to see if it finds anything. but might just have to do that with somethign like partition magic to set up two for xp and ubuntu.