PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 2.6.27-11 kernel Update & Kinit

tpurch
January 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I applied 77 new updates to my laptop today, including 2.6.27-11 kernel. After update, I rebooted but appear to have lost X.......When I boot 2.6.27-11 kernel - I receive a Kinit error telling me that its trying to resume a image but there is no image found.....it proceeds to say that it will boot normally but never does. If I boot kernel 2.6.27-9 then everything appears to work fine.

Anyone know how to correct the kinit problem when using kernel 2.6.27-11?

tpurch
January 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
KDM now loading fine.... I tracked down the problem and it was due to a change I had made in the kdm init file to set the screen brightness. It seems as if the kernel update changed my screen device from VGA0 to GFX0.

before kernel 2.6.27-11 the brightness file was /proc/acpi/video/VGA0/LCD/brightness but now its /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD/brightness. Basically, at somepoint in the past I had edited /etc/init.d/kdm and modified to set the brightness by adding echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA0/LCD/brightness However, since the script is no logger able to write the output to the brightness file in /proc the script failed and kdm wasn't loaded, it appears that the error message was always there but because kdm was started normally after the message I hadn't noticed it before!!!!