PDA

View Full Version : What E-mail client and OS do you run it on?

motang
January 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM
I am a curious beaver, and I just want to ask the Ubuntu Community what email client do you use and what operating system do you run it on? Thanks.

For me I run Thunderbird (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/) 2.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 on both my main desktop and notebook and waiting to see what Mozilla has in store for 3.0. For my Windows XP Pro machine I moved on over to Spicebird (http://www.spicebird.com/) from Thunderbird. As it is very nice collaborative software and I am waiting for Synovel to make a .deb for us Ubuntu/Debian users.

Note: If you don't use any email client you can just put down webmail.

zmjjmz
January 31st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thunderbird 2 on Ubuntu 8.10

Murrquan
January 31st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thunderbird 2 on Ubuntu 8.10, although Spicebird looks really interesting! I wonder how well it'd work with Flock?

Does it let you chat with AIM contacts? Oh wait, never mind, I see where it says that it does now! I thought it might not, since it's based on Telepathy and I thought that Telepathy couldn't.

Do you know if they're planning to add PalmOS synchronization, and/or add Spicebird to the repositories? And is it reasonably stable yet? Also, do they contribute code back to the Mozilla devs?

FuturePilot
January 31st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolution on Ubuntu 8.10

Toet
January 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Firefox, webmail. ;) Debian

chucky chuckaluck
January 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM
gmail in whatever browser. using arch.

motang
January 31st, 2009, 09:59 PM
I am a curious beaver, and I just want to ask the Ubuntu Community what email client do you use and what operating system do you run it on? Thanks.

For me I run Thunderbird (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/) 2.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 on both my main desktop and notebook and waiting to see what Mozilla has in store for 3.0. For my Windows XP Pro machine I moved on over to Spicebird (http://www.spicebird.com/) from Thunderbird. As it is very nice collaborative software and I am waiting for Synovel to make a .deb for us Ubuntu/Debian users.

Note: If you don't use any email client you can just put down webmail.
It's stable on my windows machine, and I am really liking it. I do hope it would be in the repos soon, I suggested in the brain strom but was deleted as it wasn't improvement or something like that. As far as PalmOS, I can't say anything as I don't own a PalmOS device. Contributing code back to Mozilla...I sure hope so!

FuturePilot
January 31st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I do hope it would be in the repos soon, I suggested in the brain strom but was deleted as it wasn't improvement or something like that.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/185814

davec64
January 31st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thunderbird 2 on Ubuntu 8.10
And Webmail on TeenPup (on my USB Pen Drive)

liquidgraph
January 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Firefox & Windows XP. Works beautifully.

gjoellee
January 31st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thunderbird/Firefox in Arch

Onyros
January 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
mutt+Gmail (IMAP).

mutt handles IMAP better than any other client I've tried. I ditched Sylpheed-Claws because of that, the difference is abyssal.

With vim, urlview, lynx and feh there's little else I'd need on the email front.

Arch rules (btw)!

tom66
February 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
I don't use email except for a few occasional things... way too much spam, junk and irrelevant nonsense. I use Ubuntu 8.10.

ugm6hr
February 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Was Thunderbird on Ubuntu (Gnome) Hardy on my main laptop.

But now - mainly Evolution with IMAP to connect to my Gmail on my Dell Mini 9 (standard Dell Hardy Netbook Remix). Trying to avoid wasting space on the 8GB SD card!

doorknob60
February 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Arch. I use either Kmail or Gmail.com in Konqueror or Firefox.

lotharjade
February 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
I use Thunderbird (3.0?) on Ubuntu 8.10. I sometimes go directly to gmail though.

I have been tempted to see if Evolution is anything to really shout about though.

bruce89
February 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Evolution on both Ubuntu and Windows.

speedwell68
February 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Thunderbird 2 on Ubuntu 8.10 on my main laptop. Thunderbird 2 on EasyPeasy 1.0 on my Netbook and Outlook 2003 on XP at work (I get no choice in the matter).

blueshiftoverwatch
February 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Thunderbird 2.0 on Ubuntu 8.10

jpkotta
February 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
I use Gmail's web interface and Opera's M2 client at work. I prefer Gmail, I mostly use M2 so I don't need another application running, and it's good enough. I run Ubuntu on all my computers.

I don't use email except for a few occasional things... way too much spam, junk and irrelevant nonsense. I use Ubuntu 8.10.

Then you need a better spam filter. This is a solved problem, at least for email services that don't suck. I get less than 1 spam message per week with Gmail and my work email combined, not counting the ones that get into mailing lists I'm subscribed to.

CraigPaleo
February 1st, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolution on Ubuntu 8.10

Ditto!

CraigPaleo
February 1st, 2009, 05:21 AM

But what do you use for those few, occasional things?

G@B0
February 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM
KMail in Kubuntu 8.10

RAiN2M
February 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Evolution and Gmail, Ubuntu 8.10.

sujoy
February 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
mutt in arch :)

eyeofliberty
February 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Apple Mail on Mac, Thunderbird on Ubuntu

Rokurosv
February 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
I use KMail in Arch

CraigPaleo
February 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolution and Gmail, Ubuntu 8.10.

I should have ditto-ed this one but I'm not precognitive. I only go to the web interface of Gmail to search for very old emails. It has a wonderful search function. In the past few years, I've gone through three operating systems and two ISPs. It's good to know that Evolution gives me what I like in an email client while Gmail gives me the searchability, bandwidth, and web access I might need.

Unless anything has changed recently, Gmail offers the greatest amount of bandwidth of the free email providers. They also offer POP and IMAP, which is the second reason I went and have stayed with them.

-grubby
February 1st, 2009, 06:57 AM
Gmail in Opera.

Foster Grant
February 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Kontact/Kmail on Kubuntu 8.10.

doyouhas
February 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
Gmail, on any OS! Convenience is a virtue. Lol

CraigPaleo
February 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Gmail, on any OS! Convenience is a virtue. Lol

So, your clients would be your web browsers. Please list it/them. :)

skitzware
February 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolution : 8.04

Giant Speck
February 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not a big fan of desktop e-mail applications. They used to seem appealing to me, but not any more.

Nowadays, I use Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo! mail, all in Swiftfox (when in Ubuntu) and Google Chrome (when in Windows, except for Hotmail, which I have to use in Firefox because for some reason, it doesn't work in Google Chrome).

timzak
February 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Tbird 2 + Lightning extension on Ubuntu 8.04 on my main system.

Claws + vCalendar plugin on an older system (Debian Lenny XFCE). This is so much leaner than Tbird/Lightning that I'm considering switching to it on my main system.

Also waiting for Tbird 3 to come out so I can try it.

thegreenblob
February 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I use gmail in Firefox. And I check it from my desktop running Ubuntu, my laptop running Crunchbang Linux, and my other Desktop running Debian.

Insane_Homer
February 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
gmail via Firefox and google redesigned plugin FTW!

ugm6hr
July 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Spicebird: Ubuntu 9.04 + Xfce4

An old thread, but I've just discovered Spicebird's features properly today.

Someone has helpfully created a PPA for Jaunty, and having used it for just this evening, I'm already convinced.

I left Xfce for Gnome, and started using Evolution on my NetBook, since it was pre-installed. Howver, I've gone back to Xfce, and decided to finally give Spicebird a try, since I need the Calendaring to sync with Google Calendar, which would mean Tbird + Lightning.

I am surprised there isn't more conversation about this software on here; it really is better than anything else I've used. And I love the Google Gadgets integration. The tabs work rather like in Opera, but for communication only (i.e. no browser).

Haven't got the IM to work yet, but I like Pidgin anyway.

Mornedhel
July 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Wanderlust on Emacs 22, on Jaunty.

Supports IMAP and SpamAssassin, among other useful features. Is good enough.

dragos240
July 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolution on ubuntu 9.04 and on arch, evolution also.

motang
July 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Spicebird is in the repos...awesome [runs and installs it]...but I am really liking Thundbird 3 beta 3 at the moment though. :)

Jimleko211
July 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolution on Ubuntu 9.04. I love how it's a Gnome app, and not XUL. Anything not Gnome doesn't fit in in my desktop.

hanzomon4
July 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Mail and Evolution both synced up to google. Contacts Email and Calendar, its so cool adding an event to my Calender in evolution and it poping up instanly on my iphone

Whoa!! Spicebird looks freakin cool.. trying it as soon as I get my Ubuntu/mac back

Cl0ud9
July 21st, 2009, 04:35 AM
Alpine and Ubuntu 9.04.

ugm6hr
July 21st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Whoa!! Spicebird looks freakin cool.. trying it as soon as I get my Ubuntu/mac back

Very cool. v 0.71 seems to be pretty rock-stable as far as I can tell (I accidentally installed from the testing repo, but I think they are actually the same package anyway).

Got the (very simple) IM client to work too. Messages only, as far as I can tell (i.e. no files transfers, voice, video etc). But that is pretty much all I use it for.

Only downside... It's a RAM-hog like Firefox. Firefox with 3-4 tabs (and a few add-ons including zotero) = 55MB; Spicebird with a few Google Gadgets, Mail, IM, Google Calendar sync = 70MB. A worthwhile investment on a 1GB Netbook running Xfce, but compares with Evolution using only 20MB or so.