PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Image thumbnails do not refresh after image is edited

stinkwheel
January 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
Using Ubuntu 8.04 from a fresh install, all updated, all the usual repositories enabled.

If I save an image on my desktop it displays as a thumbnail.

If I then alter that image using either Gimp or Kolorpaint, save it then exit the program the thumbnail still shows the image as it was before I altered it.

On Gutsy, the thumbnails refreshed/updated after a time or when you selected the file by clicking on it.

Hardy doesn't seem to refresh the thumbnails at all unless you log out then back in again. Not even if you open the image in image viewer, rename the file or move the thumbnail about on the desktop.

This a bug or can i do something about it? It's slightly annoying, just because I often have several similar images with similar names on the go at once and use the thumbnails as a guide to which version I wanted.

stinkwheel
January 31st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Just to make it clearer I did an example.

I made an image of a blue square and saved it to my desktop.

I then opened the image, changed it into a red square and saved it again.

The thumbnail still shows a blue square and continues to do so.

So, I have no way of finding out where I put that image of a red square unless I remember the file name or open the file. The thumbnail function is effectively useless under these circumstances..
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/paradoxical.png

stinkwheel
August 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Thought I'd bump this.

Desktop thumbnails still don't refresh if you alter/edit the image after saving it. Still annoying.