PDA

View Full Version : Things to do with a 100 dollars.

Islington
January 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
So I have scrimped and saved up a hundred dollars over the last year, with the promise to myself that this money would be spent on something fun/cool dealing with computers/tech toys. Funny thing is that I cant really think of anything I really want, since my computer is running slicker than oil, my ipod works whenever I bother to charge the thing, heck I dont even need extra hardrive space, and my old printer is still going strong under linux.

So, I come to you dear forum, give me ideas on how to spend my reward for being good and thrifty last year. Suggest cool techy things that you want. Its fine if they are over a 100 dollars, since I have waited this long and patience is free.

:o

OutOfReach
January 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Save it up?

billgoldberg
January 31st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm saving up to buy a network music stereo.

This to be more exact:

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/Philips_Streamium_Network_Music_Player_NP1100_revi ew_4842-201.html

http://www.webuser.co.uk/imageBank/cache/p/philips_streamium_network_np1100.jpg

It's around 120-150 euro.

I already use a upnp server (mediatomb) to stream video to my ps3.

This bad boy would replace my 8 year old 30 euro micro stereo in my kitchen.

utnubuuser
January 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
An Ubuntu branded hoodie from the Ubuntu shop?

kk0sse54
January 31st, 2009, 08:42 PM
So I have scrimped and saved up a hundred dollars over the last year, with the promise to myself that this money would be spent on something fun/cool dealing with computers/tech toys. Funny thing is that I cant really think of anything I really want, since my computer is running slicker than oil, my ipod works whenever I bother to charge the thing, heck I dont even need extra hardrive space, and my old printer is still going strong under linux.

So, I come to you dear forum, give me ideas on how to spend my reward for being good and thrifty last year. Suggest cool techy things that you want. Its fine if they are over a 100 dollars, since I have waited this long and patience is free.

Continue saving it and spend it on something other than tech gadgets. Heck I know I'm trying to save up money to buy a new sail for my Windsurfer.

I-75
January 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
You can buy some lower end computers on E-Bay to refurbish (and resell) or to experiment with.

Tomatz
January 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM

Go out and get drunk!

Montblanc_Kupo
January 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Six words:

All you can eat taco weekend!

pgatrick
January 31st, 2009, 09:08 PM
A Wacom tablet is always fun. Refurbished Intuos 3s can be had for around $99 (for the smallest). :D

Dixon Bainbridge
January 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM

I'd buy another Olympus 35 SP rangefinder camera from ebay.:D

lotharjade
February 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM
How about a new camera. New $100 digital cameras are much thinner than a few years ago. I know I have been tempted.

Skripka
February 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM
If you have all this money laying around-why don't you use it to pay my gas bill?

Tomatz
February 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Give it to UBUNTU!

Islington
February 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Skripka: I have twice considered using it to pay my own gas bill. Damn this cold.

Tomatz: I have also considered this, is it better to donate to a big OSS project or a small indy project?

Montblanc_Kupo: my colon is complaining as a preemtive strike against your suggestion :)

lotharjade: cameras are tempting, but I do not know what to look for when buying one.

billgoldberg: thats pretty awesome,didnt even know something like that was around but I dont really have too much music.

Tomatz
February 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Skripka: I have twice considered using it to pay my own gas bill. Damn this cold.

Tomatz: I have also considered this, is it better to donate to a big OSS project or a small indy project?

Montblanc_Kupo: my colon is complaining as a preemtive strike against your suggestion :)

lotharjade: cameras are tempting, but I do not know what to look for when buying one.

billgoldberg: thats pretty awesome,didnt even know something like that was around but I dont really have too much music.

Was only messing ;) Do what you want with it, $100 is about £70 (£50 a few months back :() so i suppose you could buy a half decent GPU or processor?

whiskeylover
November 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Buy a mountain bike oe something... girls like it.

mikefaraone
November 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
So I have scrimped and saved up a hundred dollars over the last year, with the promise to myself that this money would be spent on something fun/cool dealing with computers/tech toys.....

ha ha.. if you are still not gettin an idea, why dont you donate the money, we are all always ready to take donations!

chucky chuckaluck
November 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
go get a used bar and two 25lb. plates and learn to do power cleans and overhead press.

pwnst*r
November 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm saving up to buy a network music stereo.

This to be more exact:

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/Philips_Streamium_Network_Music_Player_NP1100_revi ew_4842-201.html

http://www.webuser.co.uk/imageBank/cache/p/philips_streamium_network_np1100.jpg

It's around 120-150 euro.

I already use a upnp server (mediatomb) to stream video to my ps3.

This bad boy would replace my 8 year old 30 euro micro stereo in my kitchen.

i have two squeezebox classics and love them. this would be good too, but lack of FLAC kills it for me. good price though.

Excedio
November 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
You could donate that money to my "Excedio needs a battery backup" fund. Living in Tampa Bay as you do, my power goes out pretty often, mostly brown outs. I'm afaraid of my computer dying... ;-)

Excedio
November 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Skripka: I have twice considered using it to pay my own gas bill. Damn this cold.*snip*

You live right down the road from me...it's not cold. ;-)

ssam
November 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
beagleboard and build you own music player.

though you will end up spending a little more for things like SD card, serial cable, usb hub, USB-OTG adaptor etc. also might be worth waiting for the new revision, which has a slightly faster CPU and more stable second USB port. also don't expect plug-and-play, it will be a project, and you will learn lots about Linux.

realzippy
November 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Suggest some usb device:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/

..there is a linux GUI for it !!

megamania
November 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Funny thing is that I cant really think of anything I really want, since my computer is running slicker than oil, my ipod works whenever I bother to charge the thing, heck I dont even need extra hardrive space, and my old printer is still going strong under linux.

Don't want to play the part of the daddy (I'm not one yet), but since it took you one year to save it, and you say that there's nothing you really want, my advice is: do not waste it.

This money may come handy in the future.

Islington
November 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You live right down the road from me...it's not cold. ;-)

cold a/c man!

Wow it has been a while since I saw this thread, I did ended up saving it, put it in a cd. I really want a ebook reader, but I will wait for

a) the prices to come down.
b) a clearly dominant device emerges

either way that may take some time, so a cd seemed like the best thing to do.

Excedio
November 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
*snip*Wow it has been a while since I saw this thread*snip*

HOLY CRAP! Didn't realize how old this thread was!

Zlatan
November 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Don't want to play the part of the daddy (I'm not one yet), but since it took you one year to save it, and you say that there's nothing you really want, my advice is: do not waste it.

This money may come handy in the future.

agree. make another 100$ and you'll have 200$. if there's no real need to pay for something, make another 100$. and so on:)
why would you like to easily spend your one year savings...?

pwnst*r
November 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM

lol, me neither.

dmsynck
November 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
100 "Jack in the Box" tacos. That should be about $100.00

Islington
November 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM

:popcorn: actually surprised how common this suggestion is. I cannot eat more than 3/4 tacos, and I consider my digestive system pretty much rock hard.

megamania
November 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
oops! :p

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Darn it. I was going to say 90-93 McDoubles from McDonalds.

I once ate 10 tacos from Taco Bell. When I got to where I only had about one left I couldn't hardly handle it anymore, but I knew I could force myself to eat just one more. My brother was laughing at me. When I asked him why he was laughing, he revealed that he had been hiding one, so I really had 2 more to eat. I suffered through it, though. ;)

xuCGC002
November 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Get on Steam, buy the Valve complete pack. Or the iD Super Pack.

whiskeylover
November 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
lol, me neither.

Heh... didn't realize I was resurrecting an ancient thread.

Warpnow
November 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Save a tad more and build an itx server. I spec'd one for $175 on newegg the other day.

SLEEPER_V
November 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I just bought THIS (http:///www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136351). Granted my pc is media driven, and I store and backup alot of videos and music, a third of my ~800 gigs goes to video and music. I also would consider a new cellphone like the droid.

Or the ATI Radeon 4770 gpu