PDA

View Full Version : GnuCash function

rhammer01
January 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm still pretty much a newbie, but I have a question about GnuCash. I have used Quicken for a long time and I am used to it. I like most of GnuCash since it mostly functions like Quicken. My question is, in Quicken when you make and entry in the registry there is a drop down box so you can choose the type of transaction. In GnuCash, as far as I can see, you have to enter the tranaction type manualy. Is there soemthing in the setup that you can choose to have a drop down box or some way to enter that field without having to enter the info for every transaction. I know it is a small thing but, it's what I am used to and it is just easier that way. Thanks for any help!

Jive Turkey
February 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Do you mean the account drop down box?
if so what I do is type the first couple of letters until it has the correct one, then type ":" to get to the next leaf and type the next few letters until it is correct. I find that it also guesses the accounts and enters the last transaction amount for routine transactions when I type a non-unique description in the memo line.

is that what you mean?

btw, I like it that way since my hands don't need to leave the keyboard and paw around for the mouse.

On re reading your post i think you meant to ask if there was some category based transaction creation like quicken has. I think so.
Some of these options work that way:
1- Use non unique transaction memos it will guess based on previous entries, then hit 'Enter' and it will fill in the accounts and amounts from the last transaction with the same memo.
2- Right click on a similar transaction and click duplicate transaction.
3-use the scheduled transaction to create a recurring transaction.
There might be some other ways