PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md0

ryanswan
January 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
I've been trying with no luck to do software raid with 8.10. I've set up software raids before with Hardy and Edgy but Intrepid baffles me. I keep getting these type of errors:

“The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md0 (Invalid argument). This means Linux won’t know anything about the modifications you made until you reboot. You should reboot your computer before doing anything with /dev/md0.”

Please help, I've been wrestling with this for days now. I'm trying to do RAID1 and RAID5 with software.

Simple example:
I'm setting up 4 primary partitions on 2 drives all as "physical volume for RAID"
#1 100MB for /boot
#2 2GB for swap
#3 50GB for /
#4 450GB for /home

Then I got to Configure Software RAID and create the md devices. This has worked in the past for me without trouble.

josheby
February 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
any luck with this? I am having the same problem...

I have two 400.1GB hard drives...

RAID 1 /dev/md0 ext3 / "root"
/dev/sda1 396.1GB
/dev/sdb1 396.1GB

RAID 1 /dev/md1 swaparea
/dev/sda2 4GB
/dev/sdb2 4GB

Gonkers
April 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I am getting this same error with Debian 5.0. I'm doing almost the same as ryanswan, just different sizes. Very frustrating. I'm downloading Ubuntu now to see if there is any difference, but I'm doubting it.

SkyHiRider
June 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Anyone knows whats the cause of this/how to fix it? Getting it on Debian 5 and is heck of annoying to try to fix this by trial and error.