PDA

View Full Version : writing visual basic 6 programs

jerryroy
January 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
i want to know if its possible to write visual basic programs for ubuntu?

Caduceus
January 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM
I *think* I managed to get VB 6 running under WINE, but the .NET framework is best suited for Windows. Look into the MONO project for .NET development under Linux, but I'm not too sure whether it supports Visual Basic 6.

jseiser
January 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
with monodevelop, I believe you can write CLI Visual Basic Apps, but you can use C# with stetic ( the GUI maker that comes with monodevelop) and its pretty much like writing the VB codes I learned in School.

directhex
January 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
VB6 is an ancient, dead language which has no direct way to run or develop it on Linux - projects like Gambas attempt to do the same thing though

VB7 and VB8 (VB.NET) are another matter

Martin Witte
January 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM
The wine web site (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=130) tells us VB6 runs fine on it.

SteveDee
February 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
I can't see any benefit in writing applications for Windows on a Linux system. At some stage you will need to thoroughly test your application on a Windows system.

VB.classic (V5 & V6) is not dead. You can still make a living writing and maintaining the vast number of applications that are still in use right across the globe.

If you want to start learning a language purely out of interest, then don't be bullied by other peoples techno-snobbery into jumping straight into the complicated programming environment of C++. The road is littered with the bodies of many 'would be' software coders who tried that route, but then gave up the idea of learning a language, and were left feeling inadequate as a result.

If you do want to learn a language for the hell of it, and use Linux, try Gambas. Its a visual language (so you get a quick return for your efforts) and its easy to debug code problems.

What you learn from starting out with a language like Gambas, Will help provide you with a good foundation. So you can always progress to C++ if your enthusiasm holds up.