PDA

View Full Version : Using Xandros ....

Rackerz
December 19th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Well thats rite. Thought I'd give it a go on my laptop since i had nothing else to do and my desktop Ubuntu is pretty much working the way i want. And well, i don't see much difference in it compared with Ubuntu. Yeah it's got all the commercial things installed codecs, etc. all ready. But underneath it just seems the same to me as if it where my Ubuntu desktop. Has anyone else tried Xandros and had a similar opinion?

Also just so you know, this thread isn't grounds for bashing Xandros and Ubuntu. It's just opinion based, no fighting :).

xequence
December 19th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Ill never like the commercial distros like Xandros and Linspire. Red hat doesent bother me though.

Honestly, you get nothing more in them then in a free distro like ubuntu or debian. Plus they cost money and are often bloated and slow.

Rackerz
December 19th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Ill never like the commercial distros like Xandros and Linspire. Red hat doesent bother me though.

Honestly, you get nothing more in them then in a free distro like ubuntu or debian. Plus they cost money and are often bloated and slow.

I'll second that. It's being slow now. Using at least 50% more resources. I took it off, wasn't really useful too me.

mistergq
December 19th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Xandros is what got me interested in considering Linux. I saw an ad advertising being able to run Windows apps, I began doing research, learned what they installed and someone recommended installing Ubuntu a month ago...which I did as the price was right ;) and I have not looked back. I do not believe I would try Xandros now as I know what they installed and can just do that myself. Also, it is my understanding they do not give any money back to the open source community, which I am not going to tolerate that.

Iandefor
December 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Xandros does have a free "open circulation edition" which is basically a crappy version of their normal version; that's what I used, and I disliked it immensely after a very short period of using it. Which is why I use Ubuntu.

M3ta7h3ad
December 19th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I've used xandros. Its the one distro that supported my laptop out of the box. Ubuntu still fails to support some bits on it.

Xandros open circulation edition is great :) get rid of the KDE however and get gnome on it, and voila.. its like ubuntu only everything works without you needing to add extra repos, or download codecs. :)

Why have I got ubuntu now? I lost my xandros cd, and the ubuntu one was on my desk at the time :)

Rackerz
December 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
The only beef i have with Ubuntu is that my wireless just wont work on the laptop. In Xandros it does :/.

codejunkie
December 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
never really liked xandros or linspire for that matter, just my opinion though im not bashing either, i just had so many stability issues with them.

Zimmer
December 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I had Xandros dual boot on my other (cough ! ) old Xp machine (my wife uses it to play Freecell)...but it seemed clunky and slow (the mouse movement was awful which perhaps coloured my opinion,) but it did not seem right somehow; the 'free' packages and then requirements to pay registration fees for extended repositories etc.
As I could not find an easy way to uninstall it without messing up XP partitions etc. I have replaced it with SimplyMepis..simply works on that machine..even loaded ET to play on it..and it gives me the chance to check out KDE
(when the wife is not there playing Freecell !!)
I prefer Ubuntu and Gnome and the community here......

Zimmer