PDA

View Full Version : 3D-desktops anyone?

nalmeth
December 18th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Sometimes when I want to feel special, I open up a tdfsb (a 3D-file browser) in one desktop, maximize it, and remove the frame. I then open up xcruise (another 3d-file browser) in another desktop, and do the same.

I then press a key command to intitialize 3ddesktop, and marvel at the sight as I cycle through my 2D and 3D layered desktop!!

My friends (what few are left) think I'm a loser..

I think this kind of stuff is fun..

If only tdfsb was a file-manager. It previews pictures, and huge files sort of look like buildings.. Xcruise is wicked too.

Both can be apt-got.

When I find more time I want to try to install Java's 3D desktop. Aparently it will work on ANY system. Even Windows. You can download a liveCD of it called LG3D. Google it if you want to check it out. Its pretty sweet. Its nothing like a first-person-shooter or anything like that! It's just a window manager with a 3D layer, you might say..

I think a first-person-shooter type desktop would be even more killer.
Or maybe just an environment like an RPG.

You could roam around your desktop with tux, slide into your igloo/home folder. There would be a filing-cabinet for your root-folder. A trash bin for .. trash.
Maybe tux would carry around a backpack with a notebook, and a sudo-key around his neck.

This would take many man-years of work to accomplish as a desktop, but just as a game, I think it would be pretty sweet!

xequence
December 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM
You could roam around your desktop with tux, slide into your igloo/home folder. There would be a filing-cabinet for your root-folder. A trash bin for .. trash.
Maybe tux would carry around a backpack with a notebook, and a sudo-key around his neck.

That is an interesting prospect.

poofyhairguy
December 19th, 2005, 07:14 AM
When I find more time I want to try to install Java's 3D desktop. Aparently it will work on ANY system. Even Windows. You can download a liveCD of it called LG3D. Google it if you want to check it out. Its pretty sweet. Its nothing like a first-person-shooter or anything like that! It's just a window manager with a 3D layer, you might say..

The live CD works good with an Nvidia card.

nalmeth
December 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
you're right I should have mentioned.
I should also mention that if you have a built-in card like intel, or a laptop, it probably won't work.

ATI is supported

Gurgeh
December 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thats a quality idea Nalmeth

benplaut
December 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

not Microsoft Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!