PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Issue: URGENT !!!

swapnilnarendra
January 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hi,
I am new to Linux and i am thinking to migrate from windows.
I have an Acer Aspire 5050 notebook: 512MB RAM / AMD Turion MK-38 Processor(2.24GHZ) /

I originally had WInodws XP on it but it got corrupted and one of my friend installed Windows 2003 Server on it.
But 2003 also got into some mess and i am now running my notebook in Safe mode as it doesnt just turn on in normal mode...(It gets to the screen where it shows "Windows 2003 Server" logo with a black background and after that the screen turns off, it shows the processing though via, WLAN light and Caps Lock).
SO..... i tried installing Ubuntu 8.10 and it installed, i got to the interface(i had to run the installer in the ACPI issue mode thingy (sorry i dont remember the exact name).
SO after the installation when i am trying to boot my notebook with Ubuntu, it shows the Ubuntu Logo with a black background and after that it goes to a black screen and checks the system and devices, it says "Checking Battery State..." and just sits right there and does nothing.
I dont want to go back to Windows now, PLEASE HELP !!!!

Omegaxis
January 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
If you consider yourself fairly proficient, try
This (http://www.df.uba.ar/~solari/acer.html)

Uubnewb
January 31st, 2009, 08:39 AM
If you don't have any other option you can always do this:

1. Create an Ubuntu CD.
2. Boot from there, using it as a live CD.
3. Connect to a LAN.
4. Backup all your important stuff on someone else's harddrive.
5. Do a complete format and reinstallation of Ubuntu.

swapnilnarendra
January 31st, 2009, 09:02 AM
thanks, but i also forgot to mention one more thing here...
my notebook doesnt read CDs, it only reads DVDs, so will it make any diff if i create a Live DVD and try to install it?

Boomhauer
January 31st, 2009, 09:04 AM
you can download the livecd iso and burn it to a dvd as an image.

Uubnewb
January 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM
thanks, but i also forgot to mention one more thing here...
my notebook doesnt read CDs, it only reads DVDs, so will it make any diff if i create a Live DVD and try to install it?

No, it won't make any difference. Come to think of it I think mine is on a DVD disk as well...