PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for sale

mcloser
January 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Whats the prognosis that Ubuntu remains free and downloadable for years to come? Does anybody remember how easy MS OSs and Programs were to copy in the bad old days, really not that long ago.

Yes this is an inflammatory post, but meant to make people think. I haven't checked the legalese on ultimate permissions, rights and duties, because I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't understand it. But, I am cynical enough to think that whomever ultimately owns Ubuntu could walk away with a mountain if enough people commit to it. A la MS.

In the retail world they call it 'bait and switch' in the drug world they call it getting a sucker hooked on junk. Give it to them for free and then make them pay.

Sorry folks but I am old enough to be that cynical. I love Ubuntu, I'm technical enough but trying RedHat for many years left me wanting a real Desktop, now Ubuntu is here with a nice Desktop and UNIX behind it. I love it and I'm using it, but I don't trust it.

smartboyathome
January 31st, 2009, 06:53 AM
The GPL prohibits the selling unless the source is released. So, unless they want to go the way of redhat (basically only good for support, as a free version is available), it won't happen.

Thirtysixway
January 31st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Whats the prognosis that Ubuntu remains free and downloadable for years to come? Does anybody remember how easy MS OSs and Programs were to copy in the bad old days, really not that long ago.

Yes this is an inflammatory post, but meant to make people think. I haven't checked the legalese on ultimate permissions, rights and duties, because I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't understand it. But, I am cynical enough to think that whomever ultimately owns Ubuntu could walk away with a mountain if enough people commit to it. A la MS.

In the retail world they call it 'bait and switch' in the drug world they call it getting a sucker hooked on junk. Give it to them for free and them make them pay.

Sorry folks but I am old enough to be that cynical. I love Ubuntu, I'm technical enough but trying RedHat for many years left me wanting a real Desktop, now Ubuntu is here with a nice Desktop and UNIX behind it. I love it and I'm using it, but I don't trust it.

Ubuntu will stay free. I've been with Ubuntu (on and off) since 6.10 and there isn't even a hint that they would charge for it.

It would be complete suicide for Canonical to charge for Ubuntu. You can be sure that Ubuntu will always remain free :popcorn:

lykwydchykyn
January 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM
There are a number of reasons they would not do this. The only way they could really do something like this is if Canonical put some proprietary "killer app" in Ubuntu that only came with the pay version. Otherwise, the GPL would ensure that a free spinoff would be available.

mcloser
January 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Then with the reassurance of Ubuntu users of long duration such as the responders above, I feel more confidant that we can count on Ubuntu.

In my daily, I work heavy corporate and I don't see much from places that will continue to do what Canonical does without trying for the grab. Guess my own utopian ideology is being infected by my environment.

the only reason that I would ask such a question to begin with is that I am falling in love with Ubuntu, I love it and I love what the people involved with it are about. not since the late 80s OS/2 have I been so happy with using my computer.

Thanks to the responders, I will do my best to help where I can.

SunnyRabbiera
January 31st, 2009, 07:11 AM
Well Ubuntu could go the mandriva route, offer a free as in freedom version (mandriva free), a free as in beer version (Mandriva one) and a retail version (powerpack) if they wanted to.
Would not be against the GPL but still make money.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM

Here is the catch that makes the free software ecosystem so awesome: No one entity owns Ubuntu or ever will. (Same with all the individual projects it mirrors). There are contributions from everywhere, including groups that conventional businesses would label competitors. Heck, our version of the sudo program is sponsored by DARPA and the USAF. It gets used by governments around the world.
Suffice it to say, this is completely against the status quo. It takes some getting used to, but it all makes sense in the end.

The ecosystem is largely made up of small businesses and individuals delivering support, advice and code for little chunks of the Linux audience. Indeed, support also equates to releasing a super-stable distro like Red Hat. That really comes down to what your priorities are.

Products are often released under the GPL or LGPL license, or a license following the same general philosophies (like MPL, Creative Commons or BSD), all in the same spirit of cooperation (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/). Sometimes because a license demands it, sometimes by mere convention / good manners, but most often because it Actually Makes Sense.

It all adds up into a fine purée.

One key thing to take away is that the free software world is more building an environment in which to operate comfortably, and the necessary "making a living" part can grow on top instead of growing hard roots inside of the platform upon which everyone relies. It's about cooperating because it makes life easier for the individual people behind it.

bigbrovar
January 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
one of Ubuntu's promise is that it would always be free of charge. if Ubuntu reneged on this promise and go commercial. Then it would lose the trust of the community its biggest asset. ask OpenSuse you never under estimate the power of the community because what the community giveth it can also taketh.

mcloser
January 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
One key thing to take away is that the free software world is more building an environment in which to operate comfortably, and the necessary "making a living" part can grow on top instead of rooting inside of the platform upon which everyone relies.

yes, that follows my thinking very much. I believe that everyone should be working themselves out of a job (automation etc.) so they can go onto other ( better ) things.

I really like the idea of adding the service on top of the technical, it's what I do anyway.

Thanks

Mr. Picklesworth
January 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Played with my post a bit. Now it's perfect :P
In fact, because my explanation is so awesome, I demand that this thread NOT be dumped in recurring discussions!

I added a link to The Cathedral and the Bazaar (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/), which I think does a great job examining the major thing. There's a nice MP3 (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/linux1_d50_96kbs.mp3) of Eric's talk about it.

Noblacktie
January 31st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Unless they change their business model it is unlikely they would be able to maintain a user base if they charged for Ubuntu, not with so many so many (and I mean many) free derivatives and alternatives available in GNU/Linux and *BSD.

Ubuntu charging? Move to Linux Mint if you still want Ubuntu. If they stopped Linux Mint from basing it off Ubuntu (going proprietary), Canonical would be cut off from the kernel and OSS, which more or less means stagnation and eventually, death. So that's not going to happen.

mcloser
January 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=Noblacktie;6649620]Unless they change their business model it is unlikely they would be able to maintain a user base if they charged for Ubuntu, not with so many so many (and I mean many) free derivatives and alternatives available in GNU/Linux and *BSD.

then tell me the world owns Ubuntu...and i will sleep like a baby tonight.

lykwydchykyn
January 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
That depends on how you define ownership.

mcloser
January 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM
That depends on how you define ownership.

OK so if Canonical decides to hijack Ubuntu, the user community can keep developing it on it's own, with another root head.

create a YouBuntu ?

swoll1980
January 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
It doesn't matter if they decide to sell it for a $1000 a copy. The source code is free, and while Ubuntu cost $1000 some one could take the source code and produce a distro (we'll call it Splubuntu for fun) that's 100% identical to it in every way, and pass it around for free, so while Ubuntu it's self could die, or turn it's self over to the darkside the spirit of it's community will live on.

billgoldberg
January 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM
one of Ubuntu's promise is that it would always be free of charge. if Ubuntu reneged on this promise and go commercial. Then it would lose the trust of the community its biggest asset. ask OpenSuse you never under estimate the power of the community because what the community giveth it can also taketh.

True.

They won't.

Shuttleworth promised, going back on his promise would most likely mean the end of Ubuntu.

Rinzwind
January 31st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Ubuntu will stay free. I've been with Ubuntu (on and off) since 6.10 and there isn't even a hint that they would charge for it.

It would be complete suicide for Canonical to charge for Ubuntu. You can be sure that Ubuntu will always remain free :popcorn:

Ubuntu still costs money. Mark Shuttleworth has hinted that he wants Ubuntu to make a profit within the next 5 years.

reyfer
January 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ubuntu still costs money. Mark Shuttleworth has hinted that he wants Ubuntu to make a profit within the next 5 years.

Canonical makes a profit already. Just read the article by The New York Times here http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11ubuntu.html?_r=1&pagewanted=3

Many open-source companies give away a free version of their software that has some limitations, while selling a full-fledged version along with complementary services for keeping the software up to date. Canonical gives away everything, including its top product, then hopes that companies will still turn to it for services like managing large groups of servers and desktops instead of handling everything themselves with in-house experts.

Canonical also receives revenue from companies like Dell that ship computers with Ubuntu and work with it on software engineering projects like adding Linux-based features to laptops. All told, Canonical’s annual revenue is creeping toward $30 million, Mr. Shuttleworth said.

That figure won’t worry Microsoft.

But Mr. Shuttleworth contends that $30 million a year is self-sustaining revenue, just what he needs to finance regular Ubuntu updates. And a free operating system that pays for itself, he says, could change how people view and use the software they touch everyday.