PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to fix missing menu item?

John Wiersba
January 31st, 2009, 05:56 AM
I just installed a bunch of applications via Add/Remove and rebooted. Now the game Enigma, which I had previously installed, is missing from Applications -> Games and also from System -> Preferences -> Main Menu. However, it shows up as being installed in Add/Remove and I can play it by starting it from the command line.

How can I recover it back into my menus and also the Main Menu application? Is there a way to get Gnome to regenerate the items in its menu?

Shazaam
January 31st, 2009, 09:10 AM
System>Preferences>Main Menu, right side, "New Item".

John Wiersba
February 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks, Shazaam. I will use this method if I can't get anything else to work. But I would like to regenerate all my menus rather than create my own menu item, if possible.

I've tried removing applications.menu and settings.menu from ~/.config/menus, but that hasn't fixed it. I also tried removing Enigma and reinstalling it, again without success.

I also wonder what other items are not showing up in the menus that should (did I just notice the tip of the iceberg?).

John Wiersba
February 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
Now, I'm not sure if this menu item (Enigma) ever showed up. I found that /usr/share/applications/enigma.desktop had a "TryExec" line in it that was preventing it from showing in the menu. When I comment out that line, it shows up in the menu.