PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10i freezes during instillation

Joshfokis
January 31st, 2009, 02:11 AM
like the title says i cannot get it past it. I wonder if its due to the graphics card which is an ati x700 agp. it was working once on the machine but when i was doing the updates it froze and then crashed and i have been trying to re-install it for the past 5 hours. But each time it freezes before it starts and during. Any one know how to fix?

avtolle
January 31st, 2009, 02:15 AM
I presume you are using the Live CD. Try installing with the "Safe Graphics" mode (an option on the initial menu, as I recall; or, you may have to hit F4 (other options) to get this choice.

You might also consider using the alternate install CD for this; it uses a text-based installer, and can work where the Live CD doesn't as the result of graphics card issues.

Joshfokis
January 31st, 2009, 02:26 AM
thanks i did use the safe graphics and it still froze on me... im not very savy with linux but is the text cd easy to use?

marko_1
January 31st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Good evening to everyone, I am new member on the forum as you can see, and I am new Linux user... I am having same problem, ubuntu freezes during installation on hp nx9030 notebook. After I select language I can still hear my optical device reading something, and in some time it just stops responding, luckily I've found this topic and manage to solve problem like user avtolle described. Thank you and best regards to everyone on this forum ;)...