PDA

View Full Version : input on what game to buy...

jimi_hendrix
January 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
i cant decide what to get between these three:

Call of Duty 5
Crysis Warhead (yes my computer can run it)
Left 4 Dead

any input?

eragon100
January 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Crysis, it looks great!

Svensk023
January 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
well i have only played left 4 dead out of your list, but i have heard good things about the other games you listed.

Left 4 Dead is a typical online game from valve, you have 4 different campaigns, each have 5 stages, and you have to strategize with 3 others. A lot of mindless killing when you need to blow off some steam, not to mention you feel like youre in the zombie invasion

binbash
January 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I would buy crysis or cod.I have L4D, and it bored me fast

aceinthenight
January 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Whatever you do, do not buy CoD5. It is the worst game I have played in quite a while. The missions were very short, the graphics actually look much worse than CoD4, and it is very sluggish compared to CoD4. Crysis is ok, but limited compared to left4Dead. If you like multiplayer, Left4Dead is endless, as they are coming out with new levels, new campaigns, and perhaps new characters and weapons. Its a class act game, therefore I voted for that.

jimi_hendrix
January 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
also say what platform you played the game on

Namtabmai
January 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't look good. NONE of those games have native linux clients. L4D is infamous for it's appalling framerates under Wine. Call of Duty is o.k under wine as long as you don't mind playing with out sound in the game. Which leaves Crysis, which runs in wine but doesn't install apparently, how does that even work?

jimi_hendrix
January 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't look good. NONE of those games have native linux clients. L4D is infamous for it's appalling framerates under Wine. Call of Duty is o.k under wine as long as you don't mind playing with out sound in the game. Which leaves Crysis, which runs in wine but doesn't install apparently, how does that even work?

this is why i have vista still on a partition

aceinthenight
January 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I played all of these in Vista as a sidenote.

jimi_hendrix
January 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
also note the social quality of the game (do people talk in game and are they friendly)

mips
February 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I got Crysis Warhead 2 days ago. The game is brilliant as a single player so far. The GFX & Sound is amazing although I don't play it on highest setting (only got a 9600gt) although I did try just to have a look. The mainstream settings I use are not much worse but you can see a difference.

I have not tried the online part, Crysis Wars, yet. It's installed but I just have not had time to try between playing CSS & AA.

I have not heard great things about COD5, my friends still prefer COD4.

Edit: Warning, Crysis Warhead is a very short game, I'm basically at the end of the game after two days playing only a few hours. You could probably finish it in a day if you do nothing else.

jimi_hendrix
February 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
ok...i got left 4 dead...the steam forums helped decide also...been great so far...i might still get crysis warhead though

Kopachris
February 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Get X-Plane 9. It's an extremely realistic flight sim, and it runs on Linux. Oh, you didn't want a flight sim? Too bad, get one anyway. :) Heck, they even have a couple versions of it for the iPhone, too.

EdThaSlayer
February 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
I beg thee, do not buy Crysis:Warhead!
Sadly I traded my valuable pieces of paper for that dump of feces that they blatantly call Crysis:Warhead. Not only is the campaign horrid, but your nanosuit is useless and the story is even worse. That game, I just finished the campaign for the sake of it. Having a nano-suit is not special anymore in that game, as the Koreans have them too. Do not buy Crysis:Warhead, instead get the first game for this so called "sequel" is the worst game in the world. Get Call of Duty 5 or Left 4 Dead(if you have internet, if not then it isn't fun to shoot the zombies).

OutOfReach
February 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Try Gears of War 2. It has a very, very good storyline and the multiplayer is even better (at least on the 360, not sure about PC, expecting it to be the same).
You won't be disappointed.

mips
February 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
I beg thee, do not buy Crysis:Warhead!
Sadly I traded my valuable pieces of paper for that dump of feces that they blatantly call Crysis:Warhead. Not only is the campaign horrid, but your nanosuit is useless and the story is even worse. That game, I just finished the campaign for the sake of it. Having a nano-suit is not special anymore in that game, as the Koreans have them too.

I did not play the original Crysis so I cannot compare. The game is great from a 'technical perspective'. I found it much better than Far Cry 2 which is a pos if you ask me, very boring.

I have come to the conclusion it is very hard to buy a decent game. I think in many cases if it was possible people would return games after about an hours play.

The online part of games is a big thing these days, I like CSS although as a game it's nothing special.

Bring on MAME, SNES & other console emulators :)

Polygon
February 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
get left4dead. call of duty 5 is just another call of duty 3. some crappy third party company makes YET ANOTHER ww2 multiplayer game. I hear the campaign sucks as always, and the multiplayer is similar to call of duty 4.....aka nothing new

left4dead is a pretty awesome game, and valve is going to be releasing new maps soon and then a SDK where people can create their own maps, basically ensuring that this game will always be interesting

EdThaSlayer
February 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I did not play the original Crysis so I cannot compare. The game is great from a 'technical perspective'. I found it much better than Far Cry 2 which is a pos if you ask me, very boring.

I have come to the conclusion it is very hard to buy a decent game. I think in many cases if it was possible people would return games after about an hours play.

The online part of games is a big thing these days, I like CSS although as a game it's nothing special.

Bring on MAME, SNES & other console emulators :)

Too bad the Crysis Wars requires you to have an account with Gamespy.

billgoldberg
February 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
If you are into Nazi Zombies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsKdbWNi3cI), go for CoD 5.

The single player was nice as is the online multiplayer.

It's not as good as the CoD4 multiplayer, but it comes close.

Bölvağur
February 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Call of Duty 5
This is an official mod of CoD4 which is sold as a new game. CoD5 aims to bring noobs to the game that dont care more about "big weapons" than balanced gameplay.
btw I was playing clanwars in cod4 and was mid+ skilled, so my prejudgment is understandable if you think about it.

Crysis Warhead
Dunno... perhaps if you are into single player.

Left 4 Dead
This is a joke of a game! A friend of mine was going to buy this game when he first heard of it, but he still havent gone out to buy it so I'd say he realized how silly little game this is ;)
Go to youtube and watch videos of people playing... would you play this?

jimi_hendrix
February 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Try Gears of War 2. It has a very, very good storyline and the multiplayer is even better (at least on the 360, not sure about PC, expecting it to be the same).
You won't be disappointed.

already have it :p