PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding a shutdown option to the openbox menu

Major_Kong
January 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I got from this guide - http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/#shutdown2 - the following tips:

To shutdown the computer with gdm-control, use the following command:

gdm-control --shutdown && openbox --exit

To restart, use this command:

gdm-control --reboot && openbox --exit

And to suspend, use the following line:

gdm-control --suspend

And they work just fine, but not if i run them from the openbox menu (adding a menu item that executes "gdm-control --reboot && openbox --exit" ).

Any solutions ?

Major_Kong
January 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
None ?

Major_Kong
February 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Okay... so how do most users running openbox shutdown ?

Major_Kong
February 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Was looking for a more "elegant" solution, but i just made 2 scripts and added items to the menu to execute them.

Hooya
February 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
I added a line to the sudoers file to allow "sudo shutdown -h now" without having to enter in a password. Then you just execute that commande from the menu.

I'm running Fluxbox, but the principle should be the same for openbox.

I don't know what qualifies as "elegant". If it works it works.

The other option is to have those commands run inside of a terminal. Something like
"x-terminal-emulator -t shutdown -e insert_shutdown_command_here"

Adjust for the proper syntax because I'm too lazy to make sure it's right...

Major_Kong
February 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
The "gdm-control --shutdown && openbox --exit" and "gdm-control --reboot && openbox --exit" commands do not require administrative privileges. The problem was that openbox menu doesn't seem to support the "&&".

PS: But thanks anyway, you gave me the solution to another problem. :D

urukrama
February 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
The "gdm-control --shutdown && openbox --exit" and "gdm-control --reboot && openbox --exit" commands do not require administrative privileges. The problem was that openbox menu doesn't seem to support the "&&".

That is indeed the problem. You could circumvent this by editing the menu.xml file (rather than using obmenu) and use the following syntax:

<item label="Menu entry title">
<action name="Execute">
<execute>command 1</execute>
</action>
<action name="Execute">
<execute>command 2</execute>
</action>
</item>

That should work with gdm-control too, though I haven't tested it (this computer doesn't have GDM installed).

The same applies for the keybindings & mousebindings in the rc.xml.

I guess I should add this to my guide...

EDIT: I use this system (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/confirm-to-shut-down-reboot-or-log-out-in-openbox/) to log out and shut down.

Major_Kong
February 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
That is indeed the problem. You could circumvent this by editing the menu.xml file (rather than using obmenu) and use the following syntax:

<item label="Menu entry title">
<action name="Execute">
<execute>command 1</execute>
</action>
<action name="Execute">
<execute>command 2</execute>
</action>
</item>

That should work with gdm-control too, though I haven't tested it (this computer doesn't have GDM installed).

The same applies for the keybindings & mousebindings in the rc.xml.

I guess I should add this to my guide...

EDIT: I use this system (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/confirm-to-shut-down-reboot-or-log-out-in-openbox/) to log out and shut down.

Hmm... nice. But alas, i'm lazy, i'll just keep using the scripts for now.

urukrama
February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hmm... nice. But alas, i'm lazy, i'll just keep using the scripts for now.

As you wish. :) But now you know how to solve the problem if you want to do something else along these lines in the future.

Major_Kong
February 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
As you wish. :) But now you know how to solve the problem if you want to do something else along these lines in the future.

Yeah, thanks. :D

Jelloir
July 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I know this is reviving a pretty old thread but I worked out how to add a menu entry for reboot/shutdown using obmenu and google bought me to this thread so I figured I would reply in case others stumple across it also.

Add an entry as follows:

x-terminal-emulator -e sh -c "gdm-control --shutdown && openbox --exit"

reboot should be obvious enough to work out.

Obviously add a Label and action is "execute" but this worked fine for me on Debian Sid.

Cheers

James

~sHyLoCk~
July 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
<item label="Shutdown">
<action name="Execute">
<execute>shutdown -h now</execute>
</action>
</item>