PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Solution: Ubuntu Epic Fail (or My Audigy 2 ZS is now a mute)

roboghast
January 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Audigy 2 ZS Ubuntu epic fail since the installation of the updates last week.

SOLVED: If it has taken you longer than 1 hour trying to figure out a major fail in Ubuntu. Reformat your drives, then pop the latest Live disk in and REINSTALL. It will save you alot of time and grief.

------------------------------------
Not everyone wants to learn all the Linux commands to sudo this or that. Matter of fact, I don't think anyone should monkey around with the shell unless you have taken the class at the local university. Since you can ROYALLY screw up your computer messing around with what you don't know there. (YEA! I once made ALL the files read only! Don't ask me how, I don't know --Sweet that was!)

I guess I'm funny. I like nice 21st century computer windows and menus that you CLICK on to solve problems. I like daemons and wizards that find the truth about my system. I don't want to use retarded text editors that refuse to use a mouse, but instead use 20th century ^z and ^C.

I wish all the effort put into making my desktop turn into a spinning cube and wobble windows could have been used to make it easy to change configurations without the fricken TERMINAL.

--------------------------------------

So What happened?
At least I think it was the update that messed things up, could it be my adding Gnome-Do or Avant before the update that did it, who knows? Just no sound.

Once again a major fail with Ubuntu for me. Seems like once you get everything tweaked the way you like it, something farts out. The more you install and update the more unstable it becomes. I gave up trying to figure out why my Nvidia Graphics Card can't do its 3D yummies. But at least it hasn't defaulted to the command line on startup anymore.

Guess I need to reinstall everything again. Which means I need to remember how I installed my dual boot with Windows XP.

1) oh yea, I tried to find a "solution" for my sound in the "community" but 98.53% of those were from previous releases, dead ends or from 2006. I Just don't have the hours to waste finding relevant Intrepid posts in a pool of irrelevancy.

After all don't we have computers in front of us that could figure the right configuration?? Its like, "why can't this friken thing know what hardware is plugged in and adjust itself accordingly??" Why do I have to use Google or page through the forum's 478 posts that have Audigy tagged to them?

2) oh yea, I went to Ubuntu Comprehensive Sound Solutions Guide page, did all the sudos and mojos there - still no sound at all. (Sounds works on my XP btw)

And nice work on the alsamixer, it looks like something from my old MS-DOS ATT 8086 screen. I rarely say WTF outloud but that did it. Bringing that into the 21st century should have been a priority rather than have my desktop turn into an rotating cylinder with fiery windows.

What I have learned: If you have been using Ubuntu for over 6 months and it starts to fail-- Don't waste your time trying to debug it, its faster to backup your work files, then reformat the hard drives, then reinstall from scratch. Just like you did with Windows.