PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Toshiba Portege 2000

budlyapi
January 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi -

New to the forum. Been using Ubuntu almost 2 years and love it.

I'm trying to put it onto an "older" Toshiba Portege 2000. Very thin laptop, no cd. no boot-ability from USB. it uses a 20 GB 1.8" HD (Ipod).

So here's the question:

Not being much of a command line person, can I "blank" the HD, connect it to a computer via USB and just copy the "necessary" Ubuntu files onto the drive, then install it into the laptop and boot?

If USB copy is possible, what files and from where (CD, Ubuntu-running computer)?

Thanks,

Budly
budly@optonline.net

utnubuuser
January 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
No. as far as I know, Ubuntu detects hardware during the install and creates system-wide configurations specifically for a given piece of hardware.
What you're looking for might be possible through the "Create a USB startup disk" application.
It is possible to install a copy of the iso to the hdd though and run it as a liveCD through a loopback system. Don't know anything about loopbacks though. Just Google "LiveCD iso loopback ubuntu". There should be plenty of postings about the subject.

And hey, you could always just try installing onto the hdd as you're suggesting and hope for the best.

In my experience, Ubuntu and other Linux OSs are very organic in nature and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

budlyapi
February 17th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Got Ubuntu onto my Toshiba Portege 2000 using Alcohol 120. The Windows application creates a virtual CD drive which can then open / run the Ubuntu ISO. It took several tries, but finally installed.

However it uses only a "window" (inner rectangle) of the monitor - not the full monitor screen.

Monitor is set at 800 x 600, no higher resolution choices.

The video driver is a CyberBlade - which Ubuntu "sees".

Is there a way to "force feed" resolution and monitor size?

Thanx,

Budly