PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! Update broke my desktop :'(

fuzzbuzz85
January 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi, I'm running ubuntu 8.10 and yesterday installed the latest updates. There was some sort of error installing one of the 69 I was due, but I tried again and it installed without problem, before telling me to restart my computer (I believe it said something like 'ubuntu image' or something..)
Anyway, the startup is fine, I get to my signin screen and that's the same as normal, but now I have a black screen which only displays my screenlets and nothing else, so I can't access anything - I got firefox running by opening a tomboy note (I have the tomboy screenlet) and typing a url then clicking it!

Anyone have any ideas what that update was, how it broke my desktop and how I can fix this?

Cheers!

PS: fairly newbie, so I'm sorry if I've asked something obvious or stupid!

fuzzbuzz85
January 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Right on queue... my desktop appeared again when I opened the applications screenlet and clicked on nautilus... weird.

Still no toolbars at the top or bottom though... how can I get those back? and why did this happen?!

Thanks

fuzzbuzz85
January 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM
anyone?

fuzzbuzz85
January 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Looks like the Jan 29th update damaged a few systems.. could my problem be a kernel error? I tried using the live CD and it doesn't get past the loading screen, but just ends up on a black screen with a '_' in the top left corner. I've got an assignment coming up and I really don't want to have to reinstall right now!

Any ideas?