PDA

View Full Version : A thought on the names Ubuntu/Kubuntu

nickle
December 18th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I am in the process of moving from SUSE to (K)Ubuntu and therefore new to the distribution.

I choose KDE over Gnome simply because I am more familiar with it (please no comments on the relative merits of the systems!!). However, I find the name Kubuntu unfortunate as it not only sound silly, but also distorts the original name. Ubuntu is the basic distribution under either Gnome or KDE. Why not call them Ubuntu-K or Ubuntu-G for example. I am aware that changing this at this late date probably will not be possible...
Nevertheless, I wonder whether anybody else feels the same or has any other suggestions?

prizrak
December 18th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Kubuntu was actually chosen because it is a real word, like Ubuntu :) I don't remember what it means but it has a meaning that fits the Ubuntu philosophy.

spdl
December 18th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I am in the process of moving from SUSE to (K)Ubuntu and therefore new to the distribution.

I choose KDE over Gnome simply because I am more familiar with it (please no comments on the relative merits of the systems!!). However, I find the name Kubuntu unfortunate as it not only sound silly, but also distorts the original name. Ubuntu is the basic distribution under either Gnome or KDE. Why not call them Ubuntu-K or Ubuntu-G for example. I am aware that changing this at this late date probably will not be possible...
Nevertheless, I wonder whether anybody else feels the same or has any other suggestions?

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

And "Kubuntu" means "Towards Humanity".

I'm sorry you dislike the names. I realy like them.

nickle
December 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I had simply wrongly assumed that Kubuntu was derived from the silly KDE convention of prepending K to programme names. Tx for setting me right...

spdl
December 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I had simply wrongly assumed that Kubuntu was derived from the silly KDE convention of prepending K to programme names. Tx for setting me right...

No problem, my pleasure.

Good luck and have fun with ubuntu and kubuntu. :)

joflow
December 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
What about Xubuntu or Edubuntu? Are these real words as well?

spdl
December 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
What about Xubuntu or Edubuntu? Are these real words as well?

I don't think that these 2 are real words. They just go with the flow.

homegrown
December 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM
I don't mean to spoil the fun, but i don't recall kubuntu being a real word.....
I'm South African myself & ubuntu is a real word - being used quite frequently these days in the new SA by all, but kubuntu...no i dont think so.

My understanding of Ubuntu = I am because you are & therefore we all are.
example: i need a lift somewhere & you're reluctant to drive me there - I say "where's your ubuntu bru?"

simohell
December 31st, 2005, 02:36 PM
I once installed Ubuntu for a friend of mine and she told me that ubuntu (at least when pronounced) in Indonesian would mean something like "oh, it's stuck".

AlexandreP
December 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM
The "problem" I find with the names Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu (and all that may follow), for a newcomer, is that he will think they are all separate distros. In fact, these are all the same distribution (Ubuntu) but with a different window manager/desktop environment and some additionnal applications that fit their needs.

That's whay I would agree with Nickle. All versions should be named "Ubuntu", then add something after or before it, but something visible (like using brackets -- [K]Ubuntu, [X]Ubuntu, [Edu]Ubuntu)

detyabozhye
January 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
I once installed Ubuntu for a friend of mine and she told me that ubuntu (at least when pronounced) in Indonesian would mean something like "oh, it's stuck".
Now I know why my Indonesian friend didn't really want to try Ubuntu that much. LOL.

GreyFox503
January 1st, 2006, 03:14 AM
I'd agree that each version of Ubuntu does not need its own name. If every distro did this, there would instantly be three times as many to choose from.