PDA

View Full Version : ATI Catalyst 9.1 + WINE = Awesome

Vince4Amy
January 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Just installed the new ATI drivers and WINE and I have to say it is probably the most awesome driver update ever!

All my Windows games that work with WINE now have great FPS, on par or faster than Windows, this is absolutely awesome. Anyone else tried these yet?

Zero Prime
January 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Downloading now. Thanks for the info.

Baby Boy
January 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Didn't even know about this, I'll definitely give it a try. I have the default drivers installed (8.4 I think), how much of an improvement would you say these are?

handy
January 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I just tried to get 9.2 beta on Arch but they aren't good for 64bit yet. :-(

Great to hear that AMD have made good progress though, that's for sure. :-D

mihai.ile
January 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
interesting...

I am used to see topics like "ati dirvers suck, nvidia drivers crashing, x errors with intel", and now I see ati awsome, nvidia rocks.... great news...

Zero Prime
January 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Even better than WINE, Composite rendering and video play back works with no flickering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can have Compiz or Gnome compositing on and watch video!! I'm happy now.

blazemore
January 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Any info on the gaming performance of Wine with the new Nvidia 180 driver?

Baby Boy
January 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
How do I install this driver? I can't run the ".run" file. Help. :(

Neural oD
January 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
also interested in peoples take on the nvidia driver under wine

zika
January 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Even better than WINE, Composite rendering and video play back works with no flickering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can have Compiz or Gnome compositing on and watch video!! I'm happy now.
HD3650: now I can set video to xv and get no flicker but in not-full-screen picture is shifted down 1/2 of the player window ... ;( so, still with X11 on video.

binbash
January 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I didn't try with wine yet but it fixes a lot of problems (video flicker etc).

zika
January 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I just tried to get 9.2 beta on Arch but they aren't good for 64bit yet. :-(
Great to hear that AMD have made good progress though, that's for sure. :-D
would You elaborate on this. what's new in 9.2? what's the problem with 6.4? I have HD3650.

handy
January 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
would You elaborate on this. what's new in 9.2? what's the problem with 6.4? I have HD3650.

I saw this thread & went looking for the latest in the Arch AUR repo's, which happen to be 9.2. But they need a patch or something before they will work on Arch 64bit, which is what I use.

I haven't done a search & read up on them; I'm just impressed with the positive responses coming into this thread. As the ATi drivers have been quite poor on Linux.

zika
January 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I saw this thread & went looking for the latest in the Arch AUR repo's, which happen to be 9.2. But they need a patch or something before they will work on Arch 64bit, which is what I use.

I haven't done a search & read up on them; I'm just impressed with the positive responses coming into this thread. As the ATi drivers have been quite poor on Linux.
thanks.

Vince4Amy
January 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
How do I install this driver? I can't run the ".run" file. Help.

If you're on Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 all you have to do is:

sudo sh drivename.run

Follow all the automatic steps and then do:

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

Then reboot.

zika
January 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
If you're on Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 all you have to do is:

sudo sh drivename.runFollow all the automatic steps and then do:

sudo aticonfig --initial -fThen reboot.
don't forget
sudo chown +x drivername.run ... ;)

update: I made a typo. it's not chown but chmod ... :)

Vince4Amy
January 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
don't forget
Code:

I've never done that. What is the need to?

Skripka
January 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Do they support anything more than DirectX 7 mode on Steam games yet? I'm curious.

zika
January 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
in my case (three times now, 8.11,8.12.9.01) after a download driver.run doesn't have privilege to be run. this command just gives it that privilege. nothing fancy but can make a problem. it's unix ... ;)

forrestcupp
January 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
don't forget

Well, that's the other way to do it. But if you run it with sh, you don't need to set it's executable permissions.

I'm glad to see they finally got around to fixing the flickering problem. Maybe now we don't have to be forced to buy nvidia.

Go_Bucks
January 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I thought the OpenGL support in 9.1 was supposed to fix the Google Earth screen flickering issue. I am surprised and disappointed to see that the problem still exists.

zika
January 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, that's the other way to do it. But if you run it with sh, you don't need to set it's executable permissions.
on my (and some others, according to threads) sh is not enough. I say this not in order to compete but just for sake of those who obviously had problems with just sh... not a big deal but for some a stopper ... ;)

Zero Prime
January 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
There is the easy way. Right click on the .run icon and select properties. Under the permissions tab click on the make executable block. Then run in terminal with sudo.

zika
January 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
There is the easy way. Right click on the .run icon and select properties. Under the permissions tab click on the make executable block. Then run in terminal with sudo.
terminal is always the easiest way ... :) I remember times when we did not have mouses ... ;)

forrestcupp
January 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
on my (and some others, according to threads) sh is not enough. I say this not in order to compete but just for sake of those who obviously had problems with just sh... not a big deal but for some a stopper ... ;)

Oh. I didn't know people were having that problem with this. Sorry.

Zero Prime
January 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
terminal is always the easiest way ... :) I remember times when we did not have mouses ... ;)

Not always. Like some users have said, others have had trouble with this and newer users don't know all those commands. I never could get the drivers installed using any of the above stated methods. I only had luck with how I mentioned above. Besides, a few clicks is easier than a bunch of typing, that is why we have a GUI :)

DOS4dinner
January 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Would this do anything for an ATI Radeon 9800?

gloscherrybomb
January 31st, 2009, 01:53 AM
HD3650: now I can set video to xv and get no flicker but in not-full-screen picture is shifted down 1/2 of the player window ... ;( so, still with X11 on video.

This is a known bug, and should be fixed within the next couple of releases. They have only just managed to get composite videos to work, now they will try to fix all these bugs which have unsurprising popped up. It is certainly improving though.

mister_pink
January 31st, 2009, 02:11 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought someone had tried to install the windows driver in Wine! I was just going to say that won't get you very far!

Nice to see the drivers improving though. When my old Radeon 9700 packed up a while ago I replaced it with a nvidia card because I knew their drivers were that much better.

jlx
January 31st, 2009, 02:17 AM
ATI Radeon HD 3850. No video flickering with xv, but system crash going full screen and google earth flickering.
Hope AMD/ATI is on the right way to fix all issues and make ati cards usable on Ubuntu.

DrakeGis
January 31st, 2009, 02:26 AM
I don't use WINE. But I agree, finally it is good to be able to reproduce video without having to disable compiz. However, it is very sad that I still need to do that to use google earth.

A mediocre update.

Update: See also the "effects" when using miro (old video over the buttons) and chesse (half of the screen is black), it also do funny things when resizing videos with totem.

Vince4Amy
January 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, I think that ATI have done a very good job this time. Definitely on of the best versions they've released so far.

Nostrafus
January 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Good to hear they've improved the support on ATI cards, I remember a few years ago having tons of problems with ATI cards and games under Linux, especially with anything 3D, stuff getting rendered as grey blobs, simple games crashing, things like that.

Right now I'm having absolutely no luck with my setup for gaming, I have yet to get a single game to run out of the dozens I've tried, but I'm running 2 Nvidia cards and that's caused more than it's fair share of problems since I updated to 8.10. Such is my luck.

theApokalypsis
January 31st, 2009, 11:58 AM
it was a decent update. but still some issues to be addressed. hopefully the next release makes things even more stable.

although having compiz and accelerated playback is great.

bigbrovar
January 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
can any one confirm if this is stable enough to install on a production system? .. i work in a school where the students are giving laptops that run ubuntu .. its my job to configure this laptops. for this i made a preconfigured ubuntu image using system imager. i am in the process of making a new image based on ubuntu 8.10 and i was wondering if its ok to install the latest version of ATI card or just use the one in the repo..

Vince4Amy
January 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM
can any one confirm if this is stable enough to install on a production system? .. i work in a school where the students are giving laptops that run ubuntu .. its my job to configure this laptops. for this i made a preconfigured ubuntu image using system imager. i am in the process of making a new image based on ubuntu 8.10 and i was wondering if its ok to install the latest version of ATI card or just use the one in the repo..

What version are you currently running? I've found releases 8.11 - 8.12 to be very unstable in comparison.

bigbrovar
January 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
What version are you currently running? I've found releases 8.11 - 8.12 to be very unstable in comparison.
Am using the open source version that comes default with intrepid ibex .. i i didnt install the restricted driver. my target is stability.. am not concerned about 3D acceleration. infact i uninstalled compiz. One of the reasons i decided to base the image on ibex is because the the last hardy image was very unstable and usually restart for know reason (i tracked the problem down to the ATI restricted driver) what i just need is a stable system (for the student's sake, its their first introduction to ubuntu). what ever achieves it. proprietary or open source driver which ever achieves it.

zika
January 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Am using the open source version that comes default with intrepid ibex .. i i didnt install the restricted driver. my target is stability.. am not concerned about 3D acceleration. infact i uninstalled compiz. One of the reasons i decided to base the image on ibex is because the the last hardy image was very unstable and usually restart for know reason (i tracked the problem down to the ATI restricted driver) what i just need is a stable system (for the student's sake, its their first introduction to ubuntu). what ever achieves it. proprietary or open source driver which ever achieves it.
if I were in Your shoes I'd stay with open source version. even though this latest version of ATI proprietary driver seems to be very good, latest kernel update proved me that in Your case I'd stay with open source and be sure that any further kernel update would go uneventful. now I'm wiser and would be more relaxed in case of such an update (knowing what to do and what to expect from proprietary driver and how to re-install it) with open-source driver for inexperienced users and if You do not use compiz and acceleration. added bonus is that they can not play with compiz even if it were installed ... :)
it's different having just one machine to take care of and, in Your case, more ...

bigbrovar
January 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
if I were in Your shoes I'd stay with open source version. even though this latest version of ATI proprietary driver seems to be very good, latest kernel update proved me that in Your case I'd stay with open source and be sure that any further kernel update would go uneventful. now I'm wiser and would be more relaxed in case of such an update (knowing what to do and what to expect from proprietary driver and how to re-install it) with open-source driver for inexperienced users and if You do not use compiz and acceleration. added bonus is that they can not play with compiz even if it were installed ... :)
it's different having just one machine to take care of and, in Your case, more ...

thanks bro .. just what i thought

Vince4Amy
January 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
if I were in Your shoes I'd stay with open source version. even though this latest version of ATI proprietary driver seems to be very good, latest kernel update proved me...

Always install any updates prior to installing these drivers. Also to prevent this happening again lock the Kernel version after you've upgraded but before you've installed the drivers. Though you can simply reinstall the driver after a kernel update.

zika
January 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Always install any updates prior to installing these drivers. Also to prevent this happening again lock the Kernel version after you've upgraded but before you've installed the drivers. Though you can simply reinstall the driver after a kernel update.
I'm not complaining, I have time and will to tinker with Ubuntu and I love it (both Ubuntu and the new version of driver). in case of maintaining a bunch of students' computers (beside taking care of themselves ...), I am afraid, I wouldn't ... ;) that's the reason I gave advice as such ... :lol:

zika
January 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
thanks bro .. just what i thought
I'm and educator myself and I admire what You are doing ... keep up...!

bigbrovar
January 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Always install any updates prior to installing these drivers. Also to prevent this happening again lock the Kernel version after you've upgraded but before you've installed the drivers. Though you can simply reinstall the driver after a kernel update. thanks but my focus more than anyting is stability more than 3D acceleration.. and it seems the open source driver is more stable than the proprietary version.. that is why am sticking to the open-source version.

Vince4Amy
January 31st, 2009, 07:58 PM
I wasn't saying anything against using the OSS driver, I was just posting instructions for those who are affected by Kernel updates.

zika
January 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
You were right in one thing: neither have I done that. it should read:
sudo chmod +x ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run
sorry ... :)

zika
January 31st, 2009, 08:27 PM
I wasn't saying anything against using the OSS driver, I was just posting instructions for those who are affected by Kernel updates.
Your advice on locking the kernel version was a very sound one. thank You.

DM2126@mac.com
December 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM
This is the message I get when trying to install the ATI Catalyst 9.1 driver. I use Ubuntu 9.1 and Wine.

Archive: /home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe
[/home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe or
/home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/dennis/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/DexCom/DexCom DM3 11.0.0.9/DexCom.DataManager.exe.ZIP, period.

Help!

Sorry that is the message for another program. This is the one for the ATI driver.
Archive: /home/dennis/Downloads/9-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe
[/home/dennis/Downloads/9-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/dennis/Downloads/9-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe or
/home/dennis/Downloads/9-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/dennis/Downloads/9-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe.ZIP, period.

starcannon
December 25th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Try asking in General Help (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331), I think you'll get more response.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3930/zombiegq.jpg