PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi 8.10 Will Not Boot. Why?

docklc
January 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have installed 8.10 on my newer Compaq AMD 64X2 desktop with little fuss, after the long download. Burned the .iso file to CD (twice), uninstalled Wubi 8.04 per instructions on my older system (HP 2.2 Celeron 512RAM 256MB Geforce 5200 and 250GB HD in 5 partitions-4 are NTFS), selected the partition into which 8.10 would load (15GB). All seems to go well until after reboot, when I get a "GRLDR unrecognized...." flashby, then just a blinking cursor. I waited an hour for a bootup, but nada after several tries at selecting Ubuntu on system restart.

8.04 seemed to work OK in the past on this system, except for a Canon printer issue and slowness under XP, but then it also stopped recognizing my GeForce 5200 card except in 640x480. These problems led me to try to go to 8.10.

So far it's been a real hassle, and lots of lost time trying to get 8.04 to work with printer and graphics, and now no Ubuntu at all. Hardy Heron 8.04 is uninstalled.

I don't care about games, I just want to get away from Microsoft as soon as feasible--and I want to see if Ubuntu will be the right thing for my older system, not just as a subpartition under WinXP.

I will work with 8.10 on my newer system, but 8.10 should install on this HP system, too. I'll try another download and reinstall tonight, but if there's a partition problem, how to fix? I see no problems when examining partitions using a partition manager, nor with XP--all partitions are recognized under it. Why is 8.10 hanging on install??? Help. Thanks, Kent.

halovivek
January 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Burned the .iso file to CD (twice)

Why you have burned the ISO file twice.
Ok. leave that.
Try to boot through live CD. try without installing the ubuntu. Then install.

docklc
January 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I should have closed with "hanging on boot into Wubi 8.10", not on "install"
although it might be an installation issue having to do with partition setup or recognition...Kent.

halovivek
January 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Try with Live cd. whether you can able to work or not then install.