PDA

View Full Version : A house exploded down the street from me!

swoll1980
January 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I felt my house shake last night, I thought it was a tremor, turns out a house like a mile down the road exploded. It's on the news right now. There was an elderly couple there. They were life flighted, the man survived, the woman passed this mourning. How sad :( They're saying it was a natural gas leak. Story is here (http://www.fox8.com/wjw-houseexplodes,0,4236384.story)

stopie
January 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Glad your okay...kinda makes the drunk driver that destroyed a park car and took out someones front lawn 5 houses down from our house seem not so bad now.

On a side note, I couldnt help but notice your sig and how it goes with the post...

swoll1980
January 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
On a side note, I couldnt help but notice your sig and how it goes with the post...

It would certainly seem to ring true.

swoll1980
January 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Spunky survived somehow though. They pulled him out of the rubble.
http://www.fox8.com/media/photo/2009-01/44771662.jpg

stopie
January 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM
God knows its all about the dog

loell
January 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
is that the exact area of the explosion where GOOGLE STREET VIEW is shown?

swoll1980
January 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
is that the exact area of the explosion where GOOGLE STREET VIEW is shown?

if you look NE there is a little white house with the lake behind it that's the one that exploded

etnlIcarus
January 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
There was an elderly couple there.
Well that probably rules out meth lab explosion. Moonshine still explosion is still a possibility, though.

In other news, I'm a cynic.

swoll1980
February 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Well that probably rules out meth lab explosion. Moonshine still explosion is still a possibility, though.

In other news, I'm a cynic.

You sound like my gf that was the first thing she said, probably a meth lab

Skripka
February 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
You sound like my gf that was the first thing she said, probably a meth lab

I'll admit when I saw the thread header, I had a snarky post in mind about the kind of neighborhood you live in....

At least Spunky is OK. My cat could eat that little rat dog for dessert.

bruce89
February 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM
They were life flighted, the man survived, the woman passed this mourning.

That's a rather unfortunate spelling mistake.

t0p
February 1st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Well that probably rules out meth lab explosion.

And you think older people can't make meth because...?

etnlIcarus
February 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
You sound like my gf that was the first thing she said, probably a meth labSounds like my kind of person. Is she scornful of popular culture and decidedly defeatist towards politics, as well?

Wait, don't answer that. Last thing I want to find out is that my dream partner is both taken and on the other side of the planet.

And you think older people can't make meth because...?I love how underestimating just how dodgy seniors can be is discrimination in itself. Sort of like an ethnic minority approaching you and asking, "what, am I not good enough for your stereotypes?"

Dr Small
February 1st, 2009, 04:05 AM
The story doesn't give much evidence as to how it happened. A "mushroom cloud of smoke" and "feeling the ground shake" is quite obviously a bomb. Who's to say the house wasn't detonated ?

etnlIcarus
February 1st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Believe it or not, bombs aren't the only thing which can explode with great force.

Dr Small
February 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Believe it or not, bombs aren't the only thing which can explode with great force.
I'm no chemist, so I don't know about that stuff; but I do know that houses normally just don't go randomly exploding for no reason.

yabbadabbadont
February 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM
I'm no chemist, so I don't know about that stuff; but I do know that houses normally just don't go randomly exploding for no reason.

No, but they do explode from natural gas leaks every now and then. Which is probably the leading suspect at the moment.

MikeTheC
February 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
If you've never lived with natural gas being piped into your home, you have no idea how powerful it can be.

There was a huge natural gas explosion and fire in Cleveland sometime in the 40s I believe. It took out all kinds of property. My maternal grandfather was a reserve firefighter there. My mom tells me he almost couldn't describe what it was like.

We moved my grandmother down from Euclid to live with us in '94 and she had a pilot light out which had filled the house noticeably by the time my mom had gotten there. We got her out and got the gas company to safe the house for us. They said she had about another day before the house would have turned into a bomb. It was just dumb luck mom got there when she did.

So, when I hear of a house in Cleveland exploding, the first thing I think of is it being a gas explosion.

gn2
February 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
A calor gas tank destroyed a hotel in a village near me not long ago:
link (http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1018296?UserKey=)

A mains natural gas explosion can easily reduce a house to rubble:
link (http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=house+destroyed+by+gas+explosion&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB284GB284)

Montblanc_Kupo
February 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Isn't it obvious?... UFO's.

cardinals_fan
February 2nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
If you've never lived with natural gas being piped into your home, you have no idea how powerful it can be.

Obligatory propane explosion video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1Ym_F94CE).

RATM_Owns
February 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
Eastlake? I live in Westlake. :P

missbliss
February 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
Yo, I saw this on the news, too. I live in Canton.

etnlIcarus
February 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Obligatory propane explosion video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1Ym_F94CE).

I prefer this explosion (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mw22TGV4Z5Y).

schauerlich
February 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM

I suggest you read the quote in your signature. Its placement in contrast to your contributions to this thread are rather ironic.

Giant Speck
February 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM

I still have the picture of the explosion in my Photobucket.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/propane.jpg

EdThaSlayer
February 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
A good reason not to get a gas pipeline into your house. Use electricity instead to heat up your food. :D

JohnFH
February 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I misread the subject of this thread - I thought it was about a horse exploding! I've heard of spontaneous combustion, but that takes the biscuit.

I need to get my eyesight checked.

etnlIcarus
February 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Now that's something I'd pay to see. Of course, I'd be sure to bring an umbrella.

ELD
February 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Microwaves FTW.

Cristatus
February 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Glad your okay...kinda makes the drunk driver that destroyed a park car and took out someones front lawn 5 houses down from our house seem not so bad now.

Weird that you mention that. I saw a post on Anandtech's Off Topic forum about that, but I can't find the post anymore...I'll keep looking.

(C)

billgoldberg
February 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe they pressed the "del" key on their pc?

cmat
February 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I was on vacation in NYC when a propane storage facility (Toronto) exploded not too far from where I live. Youtube has some videos of it.

etnlIcarus
February 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Microwaves FTW.

You can't put a horse in a microwave!

Cats on the other hand...

zakany
February 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
A good reason not to get a gas pipeline into your house. Use electricity instead to heat up your food. :D

Because electricity never hurt anyone. :p

Skripka
February 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Because electricity never hurt anyone. :p

That way in an icestorm takes out the powerlines, you can freeze your tail off oldschool style ...but at least you wouldn't worry about blowing yourself up.

cmat
February 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Gas is safe and cheap. If you don't maintain your appliances or use incorrect installation methods like incorrect sealants your asking for it.

My first job was at a hardware store and the horror stories I can tell. One man came in not knowing a word of English wanted me to supply some vinyl tubing for "outside". That sort of set off an alarm in my head and I got his wife which explained as best she could that it was for a barbecue! The got all the components to use clear plastic tubing for a gas line! I immediately corrected the situation. Also some guy came in and said the safety valve on his water heater was dripping (gee, maybe you need a new water heater) and asked for a 3/4" plug to block it. Again another potentially explosive situation. I'm not sure if a water heater can violently explode but I don't think he should risk it.

swoll1980
February 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
No, but they do explode from natural gas leaks every now and then. Which is probably the leading suspect at the moment.

I'm pretty sure they called it a gas leak. These people were 90 something years old too, so Oxygen might have been involved too.

swoll1980
February 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
That way in an icestorm takes out the powerlines, you can freeze your tail off oldschool style ...but at least you wouldn't worry about blowing yourself up.

Funny part about that is the fact that your gas furness will not work w/o electricity either.

swoll1980
February 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Eastlake? I live in Westlake. :P

Seems to be a lot of northeast Ohioans around these forums