PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Linux Visibility

Alterax
January 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Over the past few years, I've gone from being a strictly Windows guy to becoming enamored with Linux, GNU, and open-source software. I've worked with other Linux users, and I've assisted other users that had never even heard of any viable options aside from Windows and Mac OS X.

At this point, I think Linux is definitely stable enough for most work environments and the bulk of home environments. I've done some pretty cool stuff with it too that I wouldn't be able to do in a Windows environment, at least not on my salary. And I think almost anyone reading this forum agrees with me on the desktop-readiness test.

What I think we really need to do at this point is to get some more visibility than we currently have, if we really want to get a bigger market share. Microsoft has a position called a "software evangelist" that targets businesses. Maybe we need an analog to that. "Evangelist" sounds kinda preachy anyhow, and it tends to bring to mind the methods that inevitably push people away. So maybe we can come up with a role of an "Linux Ambassador."

What I am thinking of is this: We bypass nonproductive flame-wars and bite our tongues when it comes to penguin-baiting. Maybe even stop calling out every single one of MS' failures or the perils of vendor lock-in. We in effect stop preaching about how others should convert to Linux, and instead invite them to see it in action. We make it visible, accessible, and available.

Here's an example, geared more toward home users: My most successful introductions have come from doing those things I normally do--taking notes on my laptop on campus, having friends over for movies (stored on MythTV), and taking the occasional carpool with my car PC providing the turn-by-turn directions, music, and hands-free phone. It's different, but it's things that people immediately see as useful to them. So my next step is to let them behind the controls to play. No sales pitch, no Windows-bashing, just a mischievous "check THIS out!" along with the occasional mention that all of these projects are running primarily on throwaway hardware that would otherwise be in a landfill.

I also dispose of old computers for people (there's a fee to do that here because of heavy metals in many of the components), and from those I can often piece together a decent desktop system, which gets Ubuntu and some extra software packages installed. These in turn get passed on at no charge to people that could really use computers but may not be able to afford them, along with an offer to help them learn how to use it in exchange for a cup of coffee. (Bonus: You really do make some great new friends this way!)

What are some other ways that you all can think of to be a "Linux Ambassador?" I'd love to try out some new ideas.

--Alterax

wolfen69
January 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
i think what you're doing is more than enough. let people see it and try it. and answer any questions they may have. the word will get around, no doubt.

cardinals_fan
January 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I like that you recognize the disadvantages of rabid evangelism. Low-key education is vastly more productive than high-strung fanboyism.

jrusso2
January 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
This guy is supposed to be the Linux evangelist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hall_(programmer)