PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE 4.2 on ubuntu 8.10 update problems

qjmoss
January 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I followed the guide on 'http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2' and I added the repo. No updates are available to me for KDE. I think this is because I don't have a previous version of KDE. If anyone knows how I can get a clean install of KDE 4.2 that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I had KDE 4.1 and didn't like all the applications it came with, is there a way to remove the apps that are not necessity (clones of Gnome apps)

Thank you for the help =)

pritamps
January 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I followed the guide on 'http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2' and I added the repo. No updates are available to me for KDE. I think this is because I don't have a previous version of KDE. If anyone knows how I can get a clean install of KDE 4.2 that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I had KDE 4.1 and didn't like all the applications it came with, is there a way to remove the apps that are not necessity (clones of Gnome apps)

Thank you for the help =)

Run the following to get KDE 4.2 after adding the repo:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

That will install KDE 4.2 and it will show up in your Sessions in the login screen as KDE, I think.

Hope that helps!

qjmoss
January 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Well thats what i thought, but I wanted to do it through Synaptic, so it's easily removable..

How would I go about removing every package if I didnt it through terminal..

apt-get remove wouldnt take everything out

pritamps
January 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well thats what i thought, but I wanted to do it through Synaptic, so it's easily removable..

How would I go about removing every package if I didnt it through terminal..

apt-get remove wouldnt take everything out

To remove KDE 4, you could do

sudo apt-get remove kdelibs5

(Almost?) All KDE applications depend on this, so removing this would automatically remove all your KDE 4 applications.

In any case, installing through Synaptic or the command line would give the same result.

One thing you could do was to install through aptitude instead of apt-get, i.e.

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

and then use aptitude to remove kubuntu-desktop as well. Aptitude does this metapackage thing quite well..

keypox
January 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
i followed those directions but when in kde i ran a command i cannot find now that said i had 3.5.10?

I trying again...