PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bad Install?

johnnycatholic
January 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hi! I am upgrading from old version of Ubuntu to 8.10 but I think I have a bad install. My curser is causing a disturbace in the graphics and my terminal shows up as a white square and stays that way even if I enter my password. The system monitor is the same way, just a white square. I tried installing several other terminal programs and they all show up as white squares, firefox works though and so does the updater. I can't even begin to do anything without a terminal. SO do I have a bad instal?

merkourio
January 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think that you should try to backup, and re-install from a new download...
Just an opinion;),
Hope It Helps...

cariboo
January 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Depending on how old the previous version was, you have to upgrade in steps, for instance if you were to upgrade from 7.10, you would need to follow this upgrade path:

7.10-->8.04-->8.10

If you went directly from 7.10-->8.10 you are going to run into dependency problems.

Jim

johnnycatholic
January 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well I was upgrading from breezy badger to 8.10 I downloaded and burned an image then did a fresh install, the program said that is burned error free so I don't know why it turned out so bad?:(

avtolle
January 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Before reinstalling, what are the specs for your computer? Amount of ram, graphics card, make and model, motherboard are examples.

I'm thinking there might be an issue with the graphics driver. Try this; reboot, and from the sessions option, click on it and choose "safe mode" (I think that's what it is called) and see if you get the same problems once you are into the desktop.

johnnycatholic
January 31st, 2009, 02:24 AM
I tried bootin from recovery mode and that didnt work, but I went through and turned off the visual effects and now it works perfectly though it is not as pretty. It is an older processor (Celleron) and low ram so it just must not be able to handle the visual effects. It works now so thanks everyone!!