PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can connect to internet but cannot update ubuntu via gprs mobile connection

Souravampire
January 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hi All
This is this problem which compells me to take part on this forum.I live in India and use my sony ericsson w350i mobile phone to connect to internet.My connection is Reliance Smart(this has nothing to do with smartphoe).In ibex,connecting to internet via my mobile is only a matter of click.But in Heron,it was not so easy.Though I could connect to internet in Heron using some help from blogs and forums which was all very good.
But both in heron and ibex,though I can do anything with internet i.e.opening websites and downloading,I cannot update Ubuntu.Even I could not use Add or remove programs and Synaptic package manager.Beyond all ubuntu.com,ubuntuforums etc.does not open in my computer.Though I nevigate every other site smoothly.
But when my phone is disconnected from computer ubuntu.com,ubuntuforums etc opens smoothly in my phone screen.But this is of no use as I cannot update my computer os.sudo apt-get update did not work for me.every time I want to update or add a program through synaptic package manager or Add or remove programs,the download manager opens and it tells me that it is downloading files.But download speen is always unknown an the filling bar never fills a bit.After some time either it shows network timeout or something like cantresolve in/archive/ubuntu...etc .I use an hp laptop.But I dont think this has anything to do with my laptop as I can do the update and other things when I connect my laptop to a broadband connection.And when I connected my phone to my friend's ubuntu laptop,which ia a lenovo one,the same problem followed.
I cannot blame the socket server(Perhaps this is the server the mobile uses,I dont know properly) as Ubuntu opens in my mobile screen smoothly.When I used Heron,I thought in Ibex the problem willbe no more.But nothing happened.Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssseee Help

Sincerely
Souravampire

dnns
May 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Iv'e got the same kind of problem on a USB stick install and normal WiFi...