PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel upgrade killed the sound from my Audigy2 sound card.

lotharjade
January 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I just got the new kernel upgrade via the update manager. It seems to have killed the sound in my system. I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] sound card. When I go to System -> Prefences -> Sound, and try to test the sound playback for my card (under sound events) it doesn't do anything no matter what I try.

What went wrong and how do I fix it?

Crafty Kisses
January 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Have you tried to see if the volumes are correct in alsa?

lotharjade
January 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Um... No. I don't think so. How do I do that?

Crafty Kisses
January 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Run this command in Terminal:

alsamixer

vanadium
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
See here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/310179
They changed a setting apparently, that you can change back.

mclode
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I am having exactly the same problem: no sound from my "Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]" with kernel 2.6.27-11.

I have gone back to 2.6.27-9 and the sound is fine. As far as I can see the volume settings are not changed when I boot 2.6.27-11.

Cheers,

Martin.

mclode
January 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
That works for me :D
Ubuntu version of the solution:
Right-click on the Volume icon and choose Open Volume Control
Click on Preferences
Scroll down to and check "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" then Close
On the Swithces tab, un-check "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack".

lotharjade
January 29th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I can confirm what you are saying mclode, going back to the 2.6.27-9 fixed my problems. Hopefully they fix what is wrong in this kernel.

I will further test your suggestions.

lotharjade
January 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
That works for me :D
Ubuntu version of the solution:
Right-click on the Volume icon and choose Open Volume Control
Click on Preferences
Scroll down to and check "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" then Close
On the Swithces tab, un-check "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack".

Ok, I roughly followed this and it solved my problems. I did have one slight variation on your suggestion.

First I was in the 2.6.27-9 kernel when I saw your suggestions so I looked at what you were suggesting with the volume control before I switched back over, which is important later.

Right-click on the Volumn icon and choose "Open Volume Control"
Open the switches tab
un-check "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack"

My first note is that checking the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" button was not necessary as mine was already checked.

Lastly, unchecking the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" bit in the switches tab is the exact opposite as to how it is set up in the previous kernel.

Regardless, SUCCESS!!! \\:D/ =D> :biggrin:

mclode
January 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think I cleared out most of my switches when I had a clear out a while ago. It might have been when I found out that you have to check the Tone switch to make the Bass and Treble controls work.

I suppose it is worth keeping the switch there now, in case we have to switch it back in a later release ;)

lotharjade
January 31st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am surprised they aren't doing a quick fix to this problem. There is a bug report, and it seems everyone knows what the problem is. One would thinkt this would be a quickie programming fix for people who do this sort of thing.

Most other problems I see don't have the benefit of having any idea what is causing the problem. My monitor hdmi issues come to mind. LOL.

sfehrman
February 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the help!
I can confirm that unchecking the Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack fixed the problem.

Emre Çelikten
April 2nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
No, actually this leads to another problem.

I don't know about you, but there is bit depth reduction in the sound in my system after applying the workaround. I can hear some artifacts in the sound which are like bitcrushing effects.

Any fixes to this issue?

Thanks in advance.