PDA

View Full Version : Which desktop Linux is best of all?

jerome1232
January 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I don't think there is a one size fit's all "best"

I think OpenSuse and Ubuntu are both great distro's but I haven't exactly tried out that many distro's yet :)

wolfen69
January 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
the best one is the one that works for you.

keithld
January 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Which desktop Linux is best of all?

The one that never crashes, does everything you want, reads your mind and never talks back...

Hahaha... :lolflag:

My vote goes to Ubuntu so far, but I have not experienced that many... If your looking for perfect you'll prolly die of old age before you find it...:D

Rock on!!!

UniverseA7X
January 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
a kind that talks in third person??

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Swoll has tried dozens, and recommends you do the same, find what you like. Though in the end imho nothing is better than Ubuntu.

RichardLinx
January 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Usually the best distro is the one that you like best, except in the case of openSUSE. openSUSE is above that generalization of "the one which works for you".

:D

jrusso2
January 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Like Wolfen said there is no best its what's best for you.

If you looking for beginners Linux, by that I mean easier to use
not that its just for beginners I would recommed Linux Mint.

Ubuntu, Fedora, SusE or Mandriva for intermediate users

And Arch and Slackware for more advanced.

Then LFS and Gentoo and Sorcerer for the even more advanced users, along with things that are not even Linux like Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

elvinatom
January 29th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I really like MS-Word ... it's even better then Amiga!

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I really like MS-Word ... it's even better then Amiga!

That was an extremely random thing to say on a thread about Linux distros

thisllub
January 29th, 2009, 07:01 AM
PC-BSD is very good.
Even ACPI works on my laptop, something that no Linux can do.
The 2 big downsides are that the wireless 3945 driver is intolerably slow and inconsistent and there is no VirtualBox port.
I tried OpenSolaris on it and found it pretty good but the subtle syntax differences make my head explode. If I can't fix the wireless issue I will probably end up back with Solaris.

If I could invent a DSDT that worked on an Acer Travelmate I would go back to ARCH.

The download for SUSE is too big these days. If they could get it down to 1 CD I might give it another go.

jerome1232
January 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
As a second thought I think everyone should try gentoo once if for nothing else than that their wiki is a great read and you will learn alot while building an install, whether you get it to work or not.

RichardLinx
January 29th, 2009, 07:07 AM
PC-BSD is very good.
Even ACPI works on my laptop, something that no Linux can do.
The 2 big downsides are that the wireless 3945 driver is intolerably slow and inconsistent and there is no VirtualBox port.
I tried OpenSolaris on it and found it pretty good but the subtle syntax differences make my head explode. If I can't fix the wireless issue I will probably end up back with Solaris.

If I could invent a DSDT that worked on an Acer Travelmate I would go back to ARCH.

The download for SUSE is too big these days. If they could get it down to 1 CD I might give it another go.

openSUSE is available for one CD. The DVD version comes with the choice of GNOME, KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.x.x and additional packages. You can download openSUSE integrated with just GNOME or just KDE and it will fit on a standard CD.

elvinatom
January 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM
That was an extremely random thing to say on a thread about Linux distros

Maybe I wasn't quite that funny, but to ask for the best distro is kind of a random thing to ask, as well. I just try to fit in here ...

RichardLinx
January 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I just try to fit in here ...

Now THAT was funny.

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Maybe I wasn't quite that funny, but to ask for the best distro is kind of a random thing to ask, as well. I just try to fit in here ...

Just be your self. "let people hate you for who you are" as I always say

dannytatom
January 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
How could anyone hate that avatar? ;D

jespdj
January 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Ofcourse there is no one Linux distribution that's "the best one".

The question is exactly the same as asking "what is the best car I can buy", without giving any other criteria.

RichardLinx
January 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Ofcourse there is no one Linux distribution that's "the best one".

Except for openSUSE which is above that generalization of "there is no one Linux distribution that's 'the best one'"

t0p
January 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I discovered Ubuntu back in the days of Breezy, and I haven't installed another distro since (meaning I haven't installed anything other than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I've got Hardy on one machine and Intrepid on the other... how mad would it be if I was still running Breezy??)

What was I saying? Oh yeah! Since I discovered Ubuntu, I've pretty much stuck to Ubuntu. I tried out the Linux-whose-name-is-forgotten which came with my Eee PC when I bought it. That didn't last long. And I've stuck a few live CDs in my desktop machine along the way. But nothing has been able to draw me away from Ubuntu.

So, if the question is "Which Linux is the best?"; the answer is "Ubuntu!"

Lunx
January 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
The one that best suits needs of end user I'd imagine. Not sure I even agree with title of this thread as it seem to go against much of the philosophy of what Linux stands for.

thisllub
January 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Except for openSUSE which is above that generalization of "there is no one Linux distribution that's 'the best one'"

Yet I prefer OpenBox to either KDE or Gnome.
I used SUSE for a long time but I can't imagine why I would replace Arch with SUSE.

yaaarrrgg
January 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have just used distrowatch and tested the top three out of the lists and picked ubuntu. I think there's a lot to say about picking a distro that has a large base of users. The community and quality of documentation is equally important as the tech side of it. That way, you don't have to pound your head against a problem, you just spend 15 min googling for someone else who did that. :)