PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Shortcuts using the "Windows key"

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
January 29th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Within the last few months I've migrated from Windows XP to using Xubuntu as my main OS. I was a "power user" of Windows XP, I knew it inside out and I used all sort of keyboard shortcuts. I want to be able to use the same shortcuts on Xfce. Particularly:

WindowsKey + R = Brings up the run dialog (same as Alt+F2)
WindowsKey + D = Shows the desktop (same as Ctrl+Alt+D)

Can this be achieved?

mobilediesel
January 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Within the last few months I've migrated from Windows XP to using Xubuntu as my main OS. I was a "power user" of Windows XP, I knew it inside out and I used all sort of keyboard shortcuts. I want to be able to use the same shortcuts on Xfce. Particularly:

WindowsKey + R = Brings up the run dialog (same as Alt+F2)
WindowsKey + D = Shows the desktop (same as Ctrl+Alt+D)

Can this be achieved?

For the first one, go to XFCE Settings Manager -> Keyboard Preferences -> Shortcuts tab. The default theme doesn't let you add shortcuts so add a new theme. Call it whatever you want, it contains all the shortcuts that the default theme has. Add a chortcut, type xfrun4 as the command, then when it asks for the shortcut, just hit the key combo that you want.

For showing the desktop, I'm not sure how to change the keys for that.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
January 29th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you very much mobilediesel, your solution worked perfectly.

Now I just need to find out what command I can execute to show the Desktop... hopefully Google will find something.

sisco311
January 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Now I just need to find out what command I can execute to show the Desktop... hopefully Google will find something.

Menu -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Window Manager -> Keyboard tab

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
January 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks that worked perfectly for me, I've now got my favourite two shortcut keys working. (Actually I'm using Compiz as my Window Manager so I had to go into the Compiz settings, but your suggestion led me there).

XanTrax
January 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
You can also give xbindkeys a try. I use that for all of my keyboard shortcuts. You can set any and all combinations possible. Very light-weight too.

mobilediesel
January 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Thank you very much mobilediesel, your solution worked perfectly.

You're welcome.

Menu -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Window Manager -> Keyboard tab

And Thank you! I have been looking for that, myself!

I've been occasionally hitting "Windowkey-M" to minimize everything and it hasn't worked. now it will!

That's what I love about this forum. You can help and receive help, sometimes in the same thread!

ericmc783
January 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I was a "power user" of Windows XP, I knew it inside out and I used all sort of keyboard shortcuts.

I'm totally in the same boat. So when using regular ubuntu with GNOME, I was able to setup custom keyboard shortcuts using the "Win" key.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy using ubuntu.