PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Get rid of ESD on Hoary. Multiple sounds at once support aswell.

xhaker
January 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM
This process will remove ESD and install polypaudio, a better and esd-compatible sound server. This process will work only on Hoary.
From polyaudio site:
polypaudio is a sound server for Linux and other Unix like operating systems. It is intended to be an improved drop-in replacement for the Enlightened Sound Daemon (ESOUND). It is my ultimate ambition to get Polypaudio into Gnome as a replacement for ESOUND. First you need to enable the universe repositories. (check Ubuntu Starter Guide, if you're reading this you should have them enabled tho :D )
Now for the real deal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install polypaudio polypaudio-alsa libesd-alsa0
sudo shutdown -r now

PS: If you used another process before to hear multiple sounds at once make sure you don't have /etc/asound.conf, your esd.conf is not configured with "-d default" and such.
PS1: I'm not sure if this doesn't disable i.e.: gaim sounds. I need you to test :D

YorHel
January 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
hmm... well, I did this, and the gnome, totem, and gmplayer-sounds didn't work anymore (I couln't get them working)
but sounds in games (tuxracer, Scorched 3D) and gaim, work fine now

but still, I can't hear multiple sounds at once...I still can't listen to music with xmms and hear gaim sounds/watch videos with xine at the same time

baylisscg
January 15th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I installed libpolyp0, libpolyp0-glib2.0, libsamplerate0, polypaudio, polypaudio-alsa, polypaudio-clients and polypaudio-x11. But it doesn't quite work. I had libesd-alsa0 from my ESD install. No sound servers are started ( esd or polyp ).

$ polypaudio -nC
main.c: read() failed: No such file or directory

Which looks pretty terminal. Running "polypaudio -nC" is suggested by the polypaudio website to test the install. Like YorHel I get some audio. totem, rhythmbox and the test button in GStreamer properties work. Gaim and system sounds do not. I would guess anything which uses ESD is dead.

To me it looks like the polypaudio package is broken taking anything that uses ESD with it.

EDIT:

I probably should state that I'm using Hoary.

xhaker
January 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
i got it working for multiple sounds at once.
like: Totem and rythmbox but gaim sounds wouldnt work if you had any of those open.
I reverted back to ESD because i cant use polypaudio sink in gstreamer-properties, i compiled something called polypsink but couldnt select it at the dialog.
I guess polypaudio is just not ready to be used with gnome/gstreamer right now.

BTW, polypaudio is supposed to emulate a esd server :-?

rwabel
January 16th, 2005, 04:44 PM
This process will remove ESD and install polypaudio, a better and esd-compatible sound server. This process will work only on Hoary.
From polyaudio site: First you need to enable the universe repositories. (check Ubuntu Starter Guide, if you're reading this you should have them enabled tho :D )
Now for the real deal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install polypaudio polypaudio-alsa libesd-alsa0
sudo shutdown -r now

PS: If you used another process before to hear multiple sounds at once make sure you don't have /etc/asound.conf, your esd.conf is not configured with "-d default" and such.
PS1: I'm not sure if this doesn't disable i.e.: gaim sounds. I need you to test :D

thanks for the how-to, I have indeed followed once the other how-to for multiple sounds.
Now what should I do with the asound.conf and how do I check if esd.conf is configured with -d default?

thanks

baylisscg
January 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
You can check for -d default in /etc/esound/esd.conf. Look on the spawn options line.

rwabel
January 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
You can check for -d default in /etc/esound/esd.conf. Look on the spawn options line.

thanks, I removed it. What about asound.confi?
Should I just remove ?

baylisscg
January 16th, 2005, 11:16 PM
thanks, I removed it. What about asound.confi?
Should I just remove ?
I don't know. I use an ~/.asoundrc file instead. I tried removing it but polypaudio still will not start ( same error ).

It would appear that polypaudio uses OSS by default. I tried installing polypaudio-alsa and changing the config file /etc/polypaudio/default.pa to load the alsa-sink module but it's still broken. All I can suggest is reinstall ESD or have a good look at the polypaudio webpage http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/. Sorry.

szundi
June 10th, 2005, 10:43 PM
What a howto :)

Man, just try it before writing down how-to install. [-X I followed your instructions, and the only thing you didn't try to enable (uncomment) esound-tcp option in the /etc/polypaudio/default.pa :) it works now for me. \\:D/

Szundi

rwabel
June 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM
What a howto :)

Man, just try it before writing down how-to install. [-X I followed your instructions, and the only thing you didn't try to enable (uncomment) esound-tcp option in the /etc/polypaudio/default.pa :) it works now for me. \\:D/

Szundi
what is that one for?

Xian
June 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Heh. What's this doing in Warty Section? :???:

jdong
June 11th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Heh. What's this doing in Warty Section? :???:
Not the original author's mistake. The old generic HOWTO forum turned into the Warty howto forum. This change happened just a week before Hoary's release, so understandably some Hoary docs made it in.