PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 install

BigCityCat
January 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I am about to install windows 7 beta. I am dual booting ubuntu and vista. I assume windows 7 will wipe out my grub boot loader. I have tried to use easy bcd in the past to install grub but unsuccessfully. Is there a way after the install that I can use the ubuntu install cd to re initiate grub instead of using easy bcd.

mgol
January 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I don't know what is "easy bcd", but You can boot using LiveCD, mount the partition You have Ubuntu on, then execute:

sudo grub
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> root (hdX,Y)
> setup (hdZ)
> quit

Where X and Y will be shown by the "find" results (X is the disk number, Y is the partition number, counted from 0). Z is the disk number You want Ubuntu bootloader to install in. If You have just one disk, then X=Z=0.

If You have a separate partition for /boot, do "find /grub/stage1" instead of "find /boot/grub/stage1".

After a reboot GRUB should be back. You'll have to edit manually /boot/grub/menu.lst file, though, to gain access to just installed Windows 7 instance.

BigCityCat
January 29th, 2009, 04:13 AM
perfect thanks.

BigCityCat
January 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM
how would I edit menu.lst

I know how to bring it up, and I have a backup copy, but what exactly would I write to add windows 7 beta boot loader? I assume that it will probably use vista longhorn bootloader. This may be a better question for windows 7 forum.

mut80r
January 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
how would I edit menu.lst

I know how to bring it up, and I have a backup copy, but what exactly would I write to add windows 7 beta boot loader? I assume that it will probably use vista longhorn bootloader. This may be a better question for windows 7 forum.

at the end (after end automagic list blahblah):

title Windows 7 Beta 1
root (hd0,x)
chainloader +1

where x is the partition windows 7 is on (counting from 0) so if it's on the 1st partition on your disk, x would be 0.

EDIT: Those are one's (1) in the code tag after title and chainloader, not L's

BigCityCat
January 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Okay thanks. Looks like I am ready to give this a shot. In a couple days, lol I have to finish selling some stuff on e bay 1st. Can't risk the downtime. Thanks guys I will let ya know how it goes.