PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network issue with Kernel 2.6.27-11 update on MSI-WIND

manuleka
January 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM
i am currently connecting to the web using prior version to my upgrade to kernel 2.6.27-9 generic, when i ran the Ubuntu update a couple of hours ago my networking stopped functioning... i thought it was just a wireless card issue but then tried connecting using a cable with no luck

wireless doesn't showup which is an obvious reason for it not being detected somehow.. but when i connect the cable it doesn't connect at all :(

i'm using a MSI WIND with the following Network Chipsets/Adapters:

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E
Ralink tech RT2700E WLan a/g/n

has anyone come across this issue before?

JSorroche
January 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I've got the same problem with my MSI WIND. :(

No wireless or cable connection with 2.6.27-11 kernel but no problem with 2.6.27-9 ! It's really annoying !

simonz05
January 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Had the exact same problem with my MSI Wind.Everything was working fine until recently when I upgraded to the latest Kernel. Is there any solution for this problem anywhere?

manuleka
January 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I manage to fix it by reinstalling wireless driver: I've got RT2700e chipset which is in the RT2860 dirver package:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

RT2860:
http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0918_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.8.0.0.tar.bz2

download the deb file run it and it will fix your wireless... also if you are using a different wireless card i suggest REINSTALLATION of Driver

simonz05
January 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Well, neither the wireless, nor the normal network card was working after this update. I have the same Wireless card as you, so I guess that should solve the problem for me. Or, well. I just re-installed ubuntu since my boot was less then a day old, and after that I haven't updated the system yet. Was waiting for a fix first. Did you have trouble with your normal wired network car as well? Or was it just the wireless which droped dead?

o/

manuleka
January 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
both Wired and Wireless... i dropped back to previous kernel and downloaded driver since networking worked - then reboot and reinstall wireless and it worked, i think my wired network is still not working properly... i'll have a look at it at some stage today and post...

manuleka
January 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Well, neither the wireless, nor the normal network card was working after this update. I have the same Wireless card as you, so I guess that should solve the problem for me. Or, well. I just re-installed ubuntu since my boot was less then a day old, and after that I haven't updated the system yet. Was waiting for a fix first. Did you have trouble with your normal wired network car as well? Or was it just the wireless which droped dead?

o/

you do know you can drop back to previous kernel by hitting escape on bootup... that should bring up boot options and just pick previous kernel...

simonz05
January 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hehe, well, now I know. I'm not to familiar with Ubuntu. I went on to downgrade each package first, but it didnt seem to help. So did it the quick and dirty way. Anyhow, I guess I should try to find some drivers for the wired network and see if it works. Thanks for the help so far, btw.

jepong
January 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
i do have the same issue. I upgraded to the new kernel and restart the wind and wired network is not working. I tried a LiveCD of 8.10 and funny it works.

simonz05
January 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
I am now surfing with kernel 2.6.27-11, wired and wireless. SOLUTION for this issue is as follows:

Wireless network: Reinstall drivers. Usually you just need to download the correct driver package and run it in your favourite package installer. This (http://forums.msiwind.net/debian/solution-drivers-for-ralink-card-t5864.html) is a helpful link if you dont know how.
Wired network: Well, same as before; reinstall drivers. It's abit more difficult to do this, but nothing fancy pancy. Basically you'll need to download your drivers at either r8101 (http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) or r8169 (http://122.146.118.42/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) depending on your LAN card. And then compile those sources. Follow these steps (http://en.alessiotreglia.com/articles/realteks-modules-new-version-has-been-released/) and you'll do ok. If you need internett access for anything; reboot and press ESC during boot to select the previus kernel.

Thanks to manuleka for the helpful tip.

manuleka
January 31st, 2009, 11:43 PM
thanks simonz05 for the links, i've been trying to reinstall my LAN Wire driver with no luck... now both my Wired and Wireless are functioning :)

simonz05
February 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
thanks simonz05 for the links, i've been trying to reinstall my LAN Wire driver with no luck... now both my Wired and Wireless are functioning :)

I was getting a shutdown/reboot issue (ACPID:Exiting #CPU1 bug) thing when applying my fix for this so I've decided to just roll-back to 2.6.27-7 kernel which is working fine. Did you experience anything similar?

manuleka
February 2nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
no no reboot/shutdown issue... what's your network card?

Siúlóir
February 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
I also have an issue with the upgraded kernel 2.6.27-11.

On the road I'm using a built-in Ericsson UMTS modem which worked file using wvdial (network manager did not do the trick).

Today I booted 2.6.27-11 and wvdial on complained that there was no device /dev/ttyACM*.

I rebooted to 2.6.27-9 and, voila, everything worked again.

I guess the network stuff in 2.6.27-11 is pretty messed up.

Cheers

Siúlóir

manuleka
February 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
driver reinstallation should fix your issues Siuloir

hashbrowns
February 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have a similar-yet-different problem to report. I just did a fresh install onto a Wind with Intrepid, kernel version 2.6.27-7 and immediately, the RT2700e does not work at all. I installed the debian drivers provided by the nice person at msiwind.net, and then on my WPA2 encrypted network, I get the loop of authorization access requests. When I change the encryption to simple 128 bit WEP, then there's no problems and it connects without issue.

It sounds like there's lots of annoyances with -11 as well, but less with -9? Do you guys recommend that I should try to find the 2.6.27-9 kernel and try to get to that, but not yet 11 with this Wind?

At least I'm VERY happy that it's not a hardware problem :)

manuleka
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have a similar-yet-different problem to report. I just did a fresh install onto a Wind with Intrepid, kernel version 2.6.27-7 and immediately, the RT2700e does not work at all. I installed the debian drivers provided by the nice person at msiwind.net, and then on my WPA2 encrypted network, I get the loop of authorization access requests. When I change the encryption to simple 128 bit WEP, then there's no problems and it connects without issue.

It sounds like there's lots of annoyances with -11 as well, but less with -9? Do you guys recommend that I should try to find the 2.6.27-9 kernel and try to get to that, but not yet 11 with this Wind?

At least I'm VERY happy that it's not a hardware problem :)

i have been using 9 before i upgraded to 11... although things seems to be sound i get this sometimes when i restart or shutdown my machine:

[xxxxx.xxxxxx] BUG: Soft Lockup - CPU#1 stuck for xxs! [NetworkManager:xxxx] xxxx

where x is a number

i will try reinstalling drivers again (i'm assuming it's a problem with network again)

hashbrowns
February 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
i have been using 9 before i upgraded to 11... although things seems to be sound i get this sometimes when i restart or shutdown my machine:

[xxxxx.xxxxxx] BUG: Soft Lockup - CPU#1 stuck for xxs! [NetworkManager:xxxx] xxxx

where x is a number

i will try reinstalling drivers again (i'm assuming it's a problem with network again)

Silly question; but how do I install an older-than-current firmware? :P where do I get it from?

Shtirlits
February 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks!

The reinstall directions on first page fixed my network problem.

manuleka
February 8th, 2009, 01:28 AM
no worries :)

jepong
February 9th, 2009, 02:30 AM
there's an new kernel 2.6.27-12 (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-February/009667.html). I haben't tried it yet... hope it'll fix the network problem.

manuleka
February 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i hope so... am running update now.. will post results

hashbrowns
February 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM
i hope so... am running update now.. will post results

How did it go? Did things become functional?

manuleka
February 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM
how can i update ot 27-12? running update manager doesn't bring up kernel 2.6.27-12 updates... what other ways can i use to capture this update? can it be downloaded from somewhere? or maybe the latest stable version available

hashbrowns
February 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
how can i update ot 27-12? running update manager doesn't bring up kernel 2.6.27-12 updates... what other ways can i use to capture this update? can it be downloaded from somewhere? or maybe the latest stable version available

Maybe this? I haven't tried it myself because I'm on my windows machine at the moment, but this looks promising...

http://ftp.kaist.ac.kr/ubuntu/pool/restricted/l/linux-restricted-modules/

Siúlóir
May 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I also have an issue with the upgraded kernel 2.6.27-11.

On the road I'm using a built-in Ericsson UMTS modem which worked file using wvdial (network manager did not do the trick).

Today I booted 2.6.27-11 and wvdial on complained that there was no device /dev/ttyACM*.

I solved the problem by blacklisting the USB-serial option module after reading the hint from this ThinkWiki page (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module).

It is now working with kernel 2.6.27-14.

Cheers

Siúlóir