PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with booting Ubuntu.

xenon9800
January 29th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I downloaded that desktop version of Ubuntu 8.04 and burned it on a CD. I get to the main screen and click the first option, something like boot without doing something to current settings, or whatever... After clicking that, I get a black screen with a little white object flashing in the top left of the screen and then it stops there and doesn't do anything... It looks like something from the BIOs or the cmd. This is what I need help with.

I would appreciate any help I could get, I mean really, I just turned 13... :D

Additional Details

23 hours ago
I have a hp
2.2 ghz Pentium 4
1 gb of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200
1 tb HDD
Windows XP Pro

tmcarson1
January 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I wonder if the CD/media has been corrupted somehow?

Does the opening ubuntu menu have an option to check the CD for defects? If so you may want to try that.

I have had a copy .iso of kubuntu that I downloaded and burned one time that just would not work and finish the installation. I had to redownload and burn a new copy then it worked fine.

Good luck!

BigCityCat
January 29th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have had this issue. Ubuntu likes to hang during set up. Sometimes you just have to hit any key to keep it moving. I just pressed and held enter until it started acting on its own again. It worked for me.

tommcd
January 29th, 2009, 05:13 AM
What program are you using to burn the Ubuntu CD? Try using one of the free programs Iso Recorder or Infra Recorder:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
I have used Iso Recorder in Windows XP and it works well. Be sure to burn the disk at the slowest possible speed. Then check the CD for defects from the option on the boot up screen as suggested.

It would also be good to rule out a corrupted .iso file by checking the md5sum of the .iso (the Ubuntu live CD file) you downloaded. See "md5sum on Windows" here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!