PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Darter Ultra is locking up

Modax42
January 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Today my Darter Ultra has locked up 4 times, each time while using a different application in a different usage scenario. It froze up the fourth time as I was trying to compose this thread, so I got fed up and switched to my Vista desktop. I can see no pattern to the lock-ups; this has been going on for some time but has accelerated in the last few days.

This is how it goes: I am either working on something, browsing the web, or playing a game when my cursor disappears and everything stops. The four green indicator light to the left of the Web and Email hotkeys start blinking in unison. I try ctrl+alt+backspace but to no avail. So I hold down the power button for a few seconds and start again.:(

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall my operating system in the middle of a semester ever again...

thomasaaron
January 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a kernel panic.

1. Which Darter Ultra do you have? (System > Admin > System76 Driver will tell you.
2. Make a note of the time on your computer's clock at the next lockup. Then go to the System76 driver, click the "Support" tab and the "Create" button. Then post the logs.tar archive created in your home directory. Don't forget to report the time. It makes it much easier to find the freeze in the logs.

Modax42
January 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Sometimes things just seem to fix themselves. I've been using the Darter all day and it hasn't crashed. Maybe the update that I did this morning fixed the problem. When or if the Darter does lock-up again, I will post the logs to this thread. But let's hope that I won't have to.

thomasaaron
January 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I hope the updates fix it, but I doubt it. Don't forget to note the time when it crashes -- the time on the LCD.