PDA

View Full Version : What's this distribution? Just what i need!

rakan_dr
January 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Hi guys, i found these images around for a distribution. It looks so simple and light. It seems that it needs only about 50MB RAM! Really!

Please tell me the name of this distro.
It's just what i need. A light distro + text editor + browser + IRC client + gcc. That's it!

I have an old laptop with 256 RAM, i want to use a lot of RAM. I tried xubuntu but it's not light as i want. I want a distro that needs about 50MB RAM or something like this. I don't care about the graphics, the graphics in these pictures are enough for me!

pgatrick
January 29th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know what distro that is, but you should check out damn small linux (http://damnsmalllinux.org/) if you want a really light weight distro, the whole thing is only 50mb. :D

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
looks like an old gnome desktop

kk0sse54
January 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
The first picture is of an old version of gnome and the second one is using window maker I believe. Otherwise for the op I'd recommend checking Slitaz out, it has a small download and footprint.

utnubuuser
January 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
You want a small distro? Really Fast? SLITAZ!

--Got an older P3 with 256 ram and couln't get any distro to load, -except SLITAZ.
Runs from ram. VERY SMALL, VERY FAST.

cb951303
January 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM
distro is irrelevent

1. shot is gnome 1.x
2. shot is windowmaker

blueshiftoverwatch
January 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
looks like an old gnome desktop
The first one might be. But the second one is using Window Maker.

EDIT: cb951303 beat me to it.

Frak
January 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
That's either Alpha Gnome or Gnome 1. Second pic is Window Maker. You can tell it is at least 7-12 years old due to the fact that the person is using Netscape in the second picture. Netscape couldn't be used in a distribution today due to it's licensing conditions.

rakan_dr
January 29th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes guys, i have 256 RAM but i don't want the OS to use it all! I need an OS that use about 50MB only! Is that possible??

If it's also possible, i need it to run from an usb memory and to save everything that i did in that session. i.e i want my flash drive to be like a laptop but without a laptop! Understand me?

rakan_dr
January 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
BTW what's Window Maker?

kk0sse54
January 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Yes guys, i have 256 RAM but i don't want the OS to use it all! I need an OS that use about 50MB only! Is that possible??

If it's also possible, i need it to run from an usb memory and to save everything that i did in that session. i.e i want my flash driver to be like a laptop but without a laptop! Understand me?

Slitaz or Slax

BTW what's Window Maker?

It's a window manager http://www.windowmaker.info/

init1
January 29th, 2009, 01:56 AM

If it's also possible, i need it to run from an usb memory and to save everything that i did in that session. i.e i want my flash driver to be like a laptop but without a laptop! Understand me?
Slitaz is about as small as it gets, but it won't save the session unless you do it manually (ie copy home and config files to your USB when you shut down, copy them back when you boot up again). Ubuntu and other distros do have live persistence, but they're much larger

BTW what's Window Maker?
It's a light window manager designed after the NextStep interface.

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
The first one might be. But the second one is using Window Maker.

EDIT: cb951303 beat me to it.

didn't even look at the second one. assumed it was a second shot of the first one

shadylookin
January 29th, 2009, 02:20 AM

would a computer that old even support booting off a usb stick?

anyway puppy linux is pretty small and I've booted it off of a usb stick before but it's 94MBs

K.Mandla
January 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Let's not forget Tiny Core (http://tinycorelinux.com/). Good if your hardware is Internet-ready, otherwise ... sparse beyond practicality. :shock:

cardinals_fan
January 29th, 2009, 03:35 AM
That's just an ancient GNOME desktop and a somewhat less ancient window maker setup.

I recommend SliTaz. It's very lightweight (32 MB RAM used on cold boot for my desktop), requires little out-of-the-box configuration, yet still provides an extremely simple and powerful base for those who like to tweak. SliTaz is one of the few live distros that is designed for installation and works well as an installed system.

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 03:40 AM
would a computer that old even support booting off a usb stick?

Probably not

elvinatom
January 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I like lightweight and performance, but I'm also lazy. I run Xubuntu on a P3-256 and it performs ok. For me, heavy-duty lightweight requires too much effort operating the UI (due to the lack of gadgets). In that respect, a custom Debian might also work quite well, because of it's out-of-the-box kernel options.

hanzomon4
January 29th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hi guys, i found these images around for a distribution. It looks so simple and light. It seems that it needs only about 50MB RAM! Really!

Please tell me the name of this distro.
It's just what i need. A light distro + text editor + browser + IRC client + gcc. That's it!

I have an old laptop with 256 RAM, i want to use a lot of RAM. I tried xubuntu but it's not light as i want. I want a distro that needs about 50MB RAM or something like this. I don't care about the graphics, the graphics in these pictures are enough for me!

What a god awful mess

cardinals_fan
January 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I like lightweight and performance, but I'm also lazy. I run Xubuntu on a P3-256 and it performs ok. For me, heavy-duty lightweight requires too much effort operating the UI (due to the lack of gadgets).
What exactly is a "gadget"?

-grubby
January 29th, 2009, 05:40 AM

I think it's the same thing as a widget, with a different name.

elvinatom
January 29th, 2009, 05:55 AM

It's an unessential extra feature intended to make you life a little easier. Please forgive me if I misspelled it - english is not my 1st language.

cardinals_fan
January 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM
It's an unessential extra feature intended to make you life a little easier. Please forgive me if I misspelled it - english is not my 1st language.
You spelled it fine. Gadgets usually refer to little desktop widgetty things that sit around doing very little.

wolfen69
January 29th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Netscape couldn't be used in a distribution today due to it's licensing conditions.

actually i used a distro that had netscape for a browser. i try out so many distros that i don't recall which one it was.

Frak
January 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
actually i used a distro that had netscape for a browser. i try out so many distros that i don't recall which one it was.
Today? I'd see more people using Firefox, I mean, because Seamonkey and Netscape are from the exact same codebase. The only noticeable difference is the branding, for which Netscape trademarked (a.k.a. licensing issues).

jespdj
January 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
--Got an older P3 with 256 ram and couln't get any distro to load, -except SLITAZ.
Why couldn't you get any other distro to load? I have an old laptop with an 1 GHz Pentium III and 256 MB RAM, and Xubuntu 8.10 runs very well on it.

handy
January 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
A good site for those interested in DE's & WM's:

http://xwinman.org/