PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dump XP, install Ubuntu

arcticgoldfish
January 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I apologise if similar threads exist - I searched but could not find them.

Basically, I have an old laptop that I want to use purely for handling photos from my digicamera and capturing camcorder video to edit and burn to DVD. XP takes up so much resource to do this that I thought turning to Ubuntu may be the solution (with the added bonus of community software and I've wanted to try switching to linux for years). So, I have a few questions.

1) Laptop is Acer Travelmate 4020, 1.6Ghz Pentium, 248Mb of RAM. Forums suggests this is OK - what do you think? As an aside, I'll never buy an Acer again, but thats another story!!

2) I want to totally ditch XP (I don't want dual boot). I have ordered the free disc from Ubuntu.com (Intrepid Ibex). Is this the right route to take? Do I need to re-format the laptop first, or will the install take care of that?

3) Laptop has wireless - does Ubuntu "just work", or do I need to find drivers once installed?

4) I need to use firewire for the camcorder but don't have it on the laptop. Planning to buy a dirt cheap firewire PCMCIA card. I've read that some Ubuntu doesn't support PCMCIA - correct or not? Again, do I need drivers for this, or will it work.

5) I've backed up documents, photos etc from the laptop. Are there any drivers / system files I need to back-up?

I'm sure there will be more questions when I actually try the install, but would love any advice you can give. Thanks.

echo8413
January 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I can answer that ordering the disc was the right move the live disc option of Ubuntu has a partition manager in the install and will format your hard drive for you and then install the OS. Your memory might not be up to spects. 512 would have been more suitable, but like you said you learned form buying an ACER a memory upgrade would help. There are versions such as Xubuntu that run better with lower memory.

arcticgoldfish
January 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks - i'll give it a go with Ubuntu and if it is bad, I'll get some more RAM.

I'm going to have a go with the install - the forum seems pretty good at getting HW up and running so I'll worry about HW later. Except PCMCIA - does Ubuntu support it? Any drivers I should copy before I get rid of XP?

spcwingo
January 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
The only real way to tell if everything will work is the live CD. Without knowing exactly what hardware you're working with it's impossible to know if it will "just work".

wandalalakers
January 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Try installing the Xubuntu alternate cd.

andy81p
February 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hello arcticgoldfish (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=757448) :
I wanted to ask you if you could install Ubuntu on your Acer? If you were can you please tell me where did you find the device drivers ?
I have an Acer 4020 and want to switch to Ubuntu due to the same issue you faced. You help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.