PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] OpenOffice 3.0 How to install?

ChrisR1982
January 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I was rather annoyed to discover that Kubuntu did not come with the latest OpenOffice3 but figured no big deal as I could simply just update it in the adept installer... however OpenOffice3 has not been added yet so I can't upgrade.. how do I get the latest OpenOffice3 to install on Kubuntu?

I went to the OpenOffice website and downloaded

OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

I then uninstalled my current version of OpenOffice... but how do I install from that file?

icheyne
January 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
The deb package has been compressed by tar.gz.
If you double click the file, it should let you decompress it to a deb file.
Double click on the deb file, input your password and the installation will start.

ChrisR1982
January 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I have extracted the files and theres over 48 DEB files... do I have to double click on all of them!?!

Also inside that file is a whole bunch of ooobasis3.0 files as well as the OpenOffice.org3 files..

e.g.
ooobasis3.0-writer_3.0.1-15_i386.deb

what are those? Do I need them as well?

edit:
I double clicked:
openoffice.org3-writer_3.0.1-15_i386.deb

and got "Error Dependency is not satisfiable"

slick666
January 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Instead of installing the .debs I recommend adding open office 3 to your repos. It has worked great for me, and I've even gotten some updates since installing. The how-to isn't loading for me but there is the link to the Google cache of the web page.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:FOc-JwWlCyUJ:news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml+ubuntu+open+office+3&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I hope this works for you

ChrisR1982
January 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Followed the step by step guide and it seems to be working.. just downloading the 57 updates hahaha

cheers for your help mate :)

ChrisR1982
January 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
All downloads complete... installed.. and I just checked and yup its workin. Cheers mate!! :)

slick666
January 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm glad it worked I hope the links comes back

stchman
January 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I was rather annoyed to discover that Kubuntu did not come with the latest OpenOffice3 but figured no big deal as I could simply just update it in the adept installer... however OpenOffice3 has not been added yet so I can't upgrade.. how do I get the latest OpenOffice3 to install on Kubuntu?

I went to the OpenOffice website and downloaded

OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

I then uninstalled my current version of OpenOffice... but how do I install from that file?

I have a script that will uninstall OO2.4 under Hardy and Intrepid and install OO3.0

http://www.stchman.com/tools_page.html

In the Scripts section.

NetworkGuy
January 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have a script that will uninstall OO2.4 under Hardy and Intrepid and install OO3.0

http://www.stchman.com/tools_page.html

In the Scripts section.

Works perfectly. Great job.

slick666
January 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I appreciate the script you made stchman but one of the things I was trying to point out to ChrisR1982 was that if you add the OpenOffice repo you can get updates to open office 3 as they come out. If you use your war you install the current deb but then you have to manually check and install updates. I think the repo way is better because it keeps you current with Open Office.

stchman
January 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I appreciate the script you made stchman but one of the things I was trying to point out to ChrisR1982 was that if you add the OpenOffice repo you can get updates to open office 3 as they come out. If you use your war you install the current deb but then you have to manually check and install updates. I think the repo way is better because it keeps you current with Open Office.

I agree, I wrote this script a while back. I was not aware that there was an Openoffice.org 3.0 repo available for Ubuntu.