PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating "trap" account with alarm shell

PacSci
January 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm in the process of securing my server (it runs Hardy), and as part of it, I came up with the idea to create one or two "trap" accounts that, when logged in to, would run a script that would notify me and block their IP address, before immediately logging them out.

How would I go about setting up such a system? Would I just write a script that would do what I needed and then exit with a status of 1, then set that as the trap accounts' shell? (And is it possible to see the IP that an SSHing person is using from inside a script?)

cdenley
January 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Sounds kind of like a honeypot. Rather that waiting until they guess a correct password, I think using something like denyhosts or fail2ban would be more effective. Actually, I think you can configure fail2ban to ban hosts based on successful logins for a particular user. You can also filter based on login attempts on your trap account, even if the account doesn't exist. All ssh authentication attempts should get logged to /var/log/auth.log, successful or unsuccessful.