PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update manager problems

WDYoder
January 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I recently installed 8.04 and am gradually getting things working. I have an annoying problem with the update manager. I am using a dial up connection so the process of downloading all the upgrades will be lengthy.

This is made worse since the upgrade manager stops working periodically, and my connection gets dropped. This does not seem to happen with the synaptic package manager and my connection stays up for long periods as long as I am not running the update manager.

If I monitor the download, I can see it slow and stop. Sometimes it starts up again. If I see my connection drop I can sometimes start it quick enough to keep things running.

After it stops I get a failure message, if I tell it not to continue it will return to the manager and I can reselect the same packages and it will then resume where it left off, eventually getting all the downloads and installing them.

The time it stays up varies from about 10 minutes to over 30 minutes.

I guess I can live with it if I have to but it would be so much easier if I could just select a reasonable amount and then let it run while I do other things.

Any suggestions?

stoogiebuncho
February 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Have you tried only updating a few things at a time, instead of the whole batch?

WDYoder
February 9th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Sorry I'm slow responding but I've had some problems with my ISP.

There is no way I would even attempt to download the whole thing at once so I have been getting things in bits and pieces. I just downloaded a 7 meg upgrade. I had to reconnect 5 times and restart update manger twice. It seems to pick up where it left off and I assume it is alright, but this process is a recipe for corrupted files.

I still have over 200 upgrades left. This is going to be lengthy trial and I would much rather spend the time learning how to use Ubuntu.

konqueror7
February 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
you could try selecting a better server for your location...go to System>Administration>Software Sources, from the Ubuntu Software tab, select Download From>Other and click Select Best Server...

WDYoder
February 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Interesting! So much I don't know. I followed instructions and got a different server. I'll let you know how it works.

Could this have anything to do with the idle time?

unplugged23
February 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Sorry I'm slow responding but I've had some problems with my ISP.

There is no way I would even attempt to download the whole thing at once so I have been getting things in bits and pieces. I just downloaded a 7 meg upgrade. I had to reconnect 5 times and restart update manger twice. It seems to pick up where it left off and I assume it is alright, but this process is a recipe for corrupted files.

I still have over 200 upgrades left. This is going to be lengthy trial and I would much rather spend the time learning how to use Ubuntu.

Your isp wouldnt happen to be [cough*] Comcast [cough*] would it?

WDYoder
February 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Nope. It's ATT, any better? I've reloaded the synaptic package manager and downloaded another program. It's a little better but still acts strange. The download slows and then stops for a while then restarts. Sometimes the connection will drop. I checked auto-reconnect, something I avoided since it worked so poor in Windows. Now if it drops the connection it usually reconnects before the package manager times out.

I'll keep trying and learning.