PDA

View Full Version : how can you fight to have your car repaired?

uknowho008
January 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM
This has nothing to do with linux or computers, but is it possible to get your car manufacturer to fix a blown motor? My moms car has 58,xxx miles on it and the warranty goes up to 50,000 miles. It's a 2005 Mazda Tribute there no check engine light came on, no oil light, no overheating. The motor still runs but it makes a fluttering sound we're told it's blown or well on it's way blown barrings or something. Anyway, somehow it ran out of oil within maybe 4-6 months but it hasn't leaked on the driveway at all. And like I said the engine light still hasn't come on even though it's obviously not in good shape.

Does anybody know of a way we can get them to take care of this without hiring a lawyer or spending much money? unfortunately my mom doesn't have any maintenance receipts either...

Thanks in advance.

Mason Whitaker
January 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
If it is passed the warranty, the dealership is under no legal or moral obligation to repair your vehicle. Now if it is an honest company, they may send you the part, and you could fix it yourself if you know much about cars.

WiFi Ed
January 28th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Your situation sounds painful, but I doubt that the manufacturer will make any repairs for free at this point. It's well past the warranty expiration mileage.

As for running out of oil in 4-6 months, well...Internal combustion engines do consume oil, even without visible leaks. Burning 2 or 3 quarts in 4-6 months would be on the high side, but not unheard of. Another possibility is that it was under-filled at the last oil change. If so, whoever did the oil change might be liable. Difficult to prove though.

One hopeful possibilty for you would be if the loss of oil was caused by the failure of a warranted component. Here in California, most vehicle components that affect emissions are covered for at least 70,000 miles. You would be surprised how many items that covers. A failure of the right one "might" cause the engine to consume excessive oil.

Forgive me for sounding like I'm being insensitive or uncaring (I'm not, I know this sucks especially if money is an issue), and this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but this event could have been avoided. A car's oil level should be checked regularly. At least once a month, better would be at every fill-up.

dmizer
January 28th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I did some searching for class action suits regarding your car, you may have more luck than me, but that's where I'd start. Are you the original owner?

Your cheapest option is probably to search for a replacement engine at a salvage yard.

Several words of advice:
1) Don't drive the thing anymore, at all, for any reason.
2) Is there coolant in the oil / oil in the coolant?
3) Just because the motor is making noise, does not mean it's blown, but if you've lost all your oil and continued to drive you're garanteed an expensive rebuild.
4) Check your local area for a Mazda enthusiast group, and see if they have any thoughts (it's possible they may be able to hook you up with a new motor on the cheap).
5) If you can prove that the oil/engine warning light(s) were defective, tampered with, or otherwise ineffective (eg: disconnected), you may have a shot at a lawsuit.

uknowho008
January 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Forgive me for sounding like I'm being insensitive or uncaring (I'm not, I know this sucks especially if money is an issue), and this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but this event could have been avoided. A car's oil level should be checked regularly. At least once a month, better would be at every fill-up.

well its not me, its my mom and thats the first thing i thought but the fact that the oil light never came on and still isn't on makes me a lot more sympathetic.

Several words of advice:
1) Don't drive the thing anymore, at all, for any reason.
2) Is there coolant in the oil / oil in the coolant?
3) Just because the motor is making noise, does not mean it's blown, but if you've lost all your oil and continued to drive you're garanteed an expensive rebuild.
4) Check your local area for a Mazda enthusiast group, and see if they have any thoughts (it's possible they may be able to hook you up with a new motor on the cheap).
5) If you can prove that the oil/engine warning light(s) were defective, tampered with, or otherwise ineffective (eg: disconnected), you may have a shot at a lawsuit.

She's not driving it anymore. I don't think there was coolant in the oil and I can't check the coolant right now cause it's too dark, but I will tomorrow if I get a chance. A mechanic down the street said it was blown, and my dad says it sounds like it's blown. Proving that the warning lights were defective was most along the lines of what I was thinking, but that requires money to go to court ughh..

Thanks for the responses, I was mostly wondering what the chances were that they would do it if we hassled them enough..

It's good to know what your options are.

LookTJ
January 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
You could go to bbb.org and file a compliant against the dealership/and or company

igknighted
January 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
You realize oil should be changed every 3 months (or typically less) for this reason, yes? The fact that no change oil light came on is odd (perhaps your best chance to get this covered), but my car (2001 Nissan) would blow up if I tried to go that long without an oil change, so I rarely let it go longer than a couple months. $10 and half an hour of your time for a simple maintenance procedure is all it takes to avoid this.

Oh... be nice to your dealer, but firm. They will probably need to go to bat for you with their higher-ups in Mazda, and if you **** them off too much I doubt they will help. So be polite, but don't let them walk all over you.

Dies
January 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Anyway, somehow it ran out of oil

unfortunately my mom doesn't have any maintenance receipts either...

Sorry to tell you but you're out of luck on this one, well your mom is.

Even if the vehicle was still under warranty, those two statements right there would allow them not to honor it. If it was under warranty though she could probably find a dealer who was "understanding" and would help her out but...

halovivek
January 28th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I dont have a car...so there is no problem for me:D

blastus
January 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
This has nothing to do with linux or computers, but is it possible to get your car manufacturer to fix a blown motor? My moms car has 58,xxx miles on it and the warranty goes up to 50,000 miles. It's a 2005 Mazda Tribute there no check engine light came on, no oil light, no overheating. The motor still runs but it makes a fluttering sound we're told it's blown or well on it's way blown barrings or something. Anyway, somehow it ran out of oil within maybe 4-6 months but it hasn't leaked on the driveway at all. And like I said the engine light still hasn't come on even though it's obviously not in good shape.

Does anybody know of a way we can get them to take care of this without hiring a lawyer or spending much money? unfortunately my mom doesn't have any maintenance receipts either...

Thanks in advance.

Take the vehicle to two different repair shops (not dealerships) and get a second and third opinion. Just get a diagnosis not a repair. Tell them you want to be there when they do the diagnosis and ask them questions. If you clearly don't understand the diagnosis (which it sounds from the above you don't) ask them to clarify it. If they know what they are talking about they will have no problem taking the time to explain it in detail to you.

Go and visit the other dealerships near you and explain to them what the problem is and ask them if they have heard of such of thing before and possibly what it might be.

If you get two other mechanics that say the engine is a write off then get rid of the car. This may cost you a few hundred but it is worth it if it means you know the car can be easily fixed or if it will cost thousands to fix.

Mason Whitaker
January 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
You could go to bbb.org and file a compliant against the dealership/and or companyHow? They aren't under any obligation to fix the car...

and a 50,000 mile warranty is actually a very good warranty :S