PDA

View Full Version : HowTo make cron run GUI applications

henriquemaia
December 18th, 2005, 06:52 AM
First of all, please refer to this howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102626&highlight=cron) to learn more about crontab.

My motivation to find this out was because there are several radio shows I really like and I was always missing them. As such, I needed something to make amarok play the chosen radio station at specific times. Probably this could be achieved through a more elegant solution, but what is explained here works great. Also, I knew that by learning how to do this, I could use it for many other things.

To accomplish this, you have to edit your crontab:

crontab -e

you can also use a nicer GUI tool to edit crontab, like Gnome Schedule (not in the repositories) or KCron (available on the repositories).

If you use a GUI tool, please adapt the instructions accordingly. I will explain this using as basis the default crontab editor.

To run a GUI command on cron, you'll have to tell cron what display the program should use. For that you use:

export DISPLAY=:0

The ':0' is the default. If you like the program to run on other display, please change the number accordingly (e.g. :1, :2, etc).

So, you add to what is explained here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102626&highlight=cron):

01 04 * * * /usr/bin/somedirectory/somecommand

the export variable, like this:

01 04 * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && /usr/bin/somedirectory/somecommand

You can omit the full path to the application bin. For amarok, you just need to use the 'amarok' command. Works fine both ways.

So, in my case, as I want amarok to play Antena2 (Portuguese classical radio station) at a specific time, I use:

30 16 * * 7 export DISPLAY=:0 && amarok mms://rdp.oninet.pt/antena2

This will make amarok start the Antena2 url every Sunday, at 16:30. But I want also to shut up amarok after the show is finished. So, I use:

0 17 * * 7 export DISPLAY=:0 && amarok -s

This will shut up amarok at 17:00 every Sunday.

(Just a side note - to make amarok play mms urls, you have to set it to use xine engine)

You can use this export trick to the limits of your imagination with every kind of application you want.

Another example that occurs to me is when you neet to use an application for a certain period of time, from 3AM to 9AM, for exemple.

0 3 * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && your_favorite_application

that will start your_favorite_application (change this to the command that runs the application you desire) everyday at 3AM. To shut it down, I use:

0 9 * * * killall your_favorite_application

This will shut it down at 9AM.

Hope this helps some of you.

If you have more ideas how to use this trick (or how to improve this HowTo), please share with us in the thread.

henriquemaia
January 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
This howto was updated. Have a good time!

HJThis
January 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hi,henriquemaia

Nice work just like to ask is this somthing
that may work with any prog????

Thank you

henriquemaia
January 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
I suppose so. I have tested this with lots of apps and always managed to get them working. As long as you put on you crontab the correct command line caller* to the application you want, there should be no problem at all. It is a good practice to test the command line before introducing it in crontab. Under a terminal, run:

export DISPLAY=:0 && your_favorite_application

and see if does what you expect it to do. If it does, than you can introduce it to crontab that you know for sure it will work.

Hope this helps you.

*remember that the command line to call an application is not always the application name. For example, calculator's command caller is 'gcalctool' if you use Gnome or 'kcalc' if you use KDE. Just a reminder.

pgmario
April 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Great how-to! Thanks a lot.
Also a good way to start an X-application from tty1.

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Great how-to! Thanks a lot.
Also a good way to start an X-application from tty1.

That's true. Now and then I use it. I really like this.

outofnicks
April 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. I did a neat thing with it, scheduling voice announcements of the time every half-hour. Don't ask me why, just thought it was neat. I like to hear them in the morning starting about sunrise, it can help if I have to get up at a certain time.

I went to the AT&T Labs Text-to-Speech demo page at:

http://public.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Picking my favorite voice (Lauren), I phonetically spelled out the time like so:

Seven, thirty, ay em.

This sounded better than typing:
7:30 am
The "am" was spoken as am, the word, so AM and PM needed to be spelled phonetically.

I put all the sound files in a folder under my home directory, and added in crontab a line for each of them according to the tutorial here, like so:

30 07 * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && totem /home/ken/Documents/Sounds/Time/7-30am.wav

That Text-to-speech demo is fun to play around with, very good quality voices :)

henriquemaia
May 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. I did a neat thing with it, scheduling voice announcements of the time every half-hour. Don't ask me why, just thought it was neat. I like to hear them in the morning starting about sunrise, it can help if I have to get up at a certain time.

I went to the AT&T Labs Text-to-Speech demo page at:

http://public.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Picking my favorite voice (Lauren), I phonetically spelled out the time like so:

Seven, thirty, ay em.

This sounded better than typing:
7:30 am
The "am" was spoken as am, the word, so AM and PM needed to be spelled phonetically.

I put all the sound files in a folder under my home directory, and added in crontab a line for each of them according to the tutorial here, like so:

30 07 * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && totem /home/ken/Documents/Sounds/Time/7-30am.wav

That Text-to-speech demo is fun to play around with, very good quality voices :)

This is nice. Thanks for sharing this idea.

I also set up a reminder using images that pop up every 3 hours. The cool thing is that the possibilities are endless. Cron is a very useful tool.

kashms
May 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
This is not working for me! For example I put the following entry in crontab:

10 * * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && zenity --notification --text "This is a test."

Nothing happens and I get a mail from cron:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Syntax error

Of course the command works from the terminal.

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 03:58 AM
This is not working for me! For example I put the following entry in crontab:

10 * * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && zenity --notification --text "This is a test."
Nothing happens and I get a mail from cron:

Of course the command works from the terminal.
Two questions:

What is the number of the X you're running? To find out, use:

ls /tmp/.X11-unix/
Did you try running the command from a terminal emulator like GNOME Terminal or from a tty (console)?I have tried the same command you shown and worked as expected. Even from the console (tty1).

kashms
May 21st, 2006, 08:07 AM
$ ls /tmp/.X11-unix/
X0

You are on to something with the console/terminal. If I type:

$ export DISPLAY=:0 && zenity --notification --text "This is a test."

in Gnome-Terminal it works. However, if I log into tty1 and try the same command I get the error:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Syntax error

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
$ ls /tmp/.X11-unix/
X0
You are on to something with the console/terminal. If I type:

$ export DISPLAY=:0 && zenity --notification --text "This is a test."
in Gnome-Terminal it works. However, if I log into tty1 and try the same command I get the error:

Are you logged in with your normal user (the one running X) on the console? Are you running crontab as normal user or system wide?

kashms
May 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Are you logged in with your normal user (the one running X) on the console? Are you running crontab as normal user or system wide?

I log in as normal user both in X and in console. I think the root account has not even been activated.

If in the console I do "sudo -s" and then try the same command I get the following error:

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Syntax error

Apparently my cookies are no good

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM
[...]

Apparently my cookies are no good
No, that's normal, since Xauthority file is locked for your user only.

Try this on a terminal:

xhost +
and then try the

export DISPLAY=:0 && zenity --notification --text "This is a test."command from the tty.

kashms
May 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM
$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

And sure enough the command now works from tty. Thanks!

How would I use this in the crontab file?
What are the security implications of using "xhost +"?

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM
$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
And sure enough the command now works from tty. Thanks!

How would I use this in the crontab file?
What are the security implications of using "xhost +"?

About the security implications, I found this on the internet:

«The xhost command opens a huge security hole because it gives to any user of the remote computer rights to control the behavior and to monitor the display, the keyboard, and the mouse of the local computer. The only secure setting of xhost is "xhost -" which denies any access, except for the local user.»

The thing is that with that you have found that you have an issue with the way your xserver is dealing with the hosts.

try resetting the xhost to

xhost -

and then use the command again from the tty, to see if you get the same previous error.

If yes, do:

xhost local:name_of_your_user

and then run the command (from the tty).

Let's see if this helps.

kashms
May 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
$ xhost -
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

From tty I then get the same error as before.

$ xhost local:my_user
non-network local connections being added to access control list

The command works again from tty. Excellent!

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
$ xhost -
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
From tty I then get the same error as before.

$ xhost local:my_user
non-network local connections being added to access control list
The command works again from tty. Excellent!
If that gets things right, put that

xhost local:your_user

on the .bashrc, so it will be run everytime you login. Now you can have your cron thing working everytime.

kashms
May 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
That worked! Thanks for your help.

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
That worked! Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help.

geco
October 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
So, you add to what is explained here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102626&highlight=cron):

01 04 * * * /usr/bin/somedirectory/somecommand

the export variable, like this:

01 04 * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && /usr/bin/somedirectory/somecommand

Actually, you don't need to export the variable:

01 04 * * * DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/somedirectory/somecommand

is enough for the program to work.

Also, you are assuming that you will run the application on display :0