PDA

View Full Version : What to do

DeadRobot
January 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM
So I have spent a year learning Python and Java and have done most of the AP Computer Science AB curriculum. I really just want some fun things to create. Like projects that I could work on or challenging problems. Basically just things to code. :)

Thanks.

jimi_hendrix
January 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
why did you start programming (like what was your dream goal)

DeadRobot
January 28th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well I always thought it would be cool to see how programs were made. And how the operating system was created. Stuff like that.

cabalas
January 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
If you're keen on operating systems I would advise you to learn C and then go out and pick up Operating Systems: Design and Implementation (http://www.amazon.com/Operating-Systems-Implementation-Prentice-Software/dp/0131429388). This is the book we used when I did my operating systems class at university and from the impression that I got is that it is quite widely used.

DeadRobot
January 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM
i dont really want to learn a new language. I want to do stuff with Java and/or Python. Maybe i can make linux apps? That would be fun for me.

Are there any good tutorials on how to do this?

jimi_hendrix
January 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM
just....write code...when your done put it on source forge...nothing specific...its kinda like an art if you think about it (or building a house)

DeadRobot
January 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM
just....write code...when your done put it on source forge...nothing specific...its kinda like an art if you think about it (or building a house)

But i dont know what to write!!! Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorivenul
January 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Look on SourceForge or Launchpad or Google Code for a project to join, or a project you think you could implement better, then do it. Ask your friends/relatives for a simple program they think they would use, and write it. The possibilities are endless.

pedja_portugalac
January 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Try to port tomtom home (car gps device application) to linux?

NathanB
January 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Plenty of ideas to choose from here:

http://forums.devshed.com/project-help-wanted-40/

kavon89
January 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Think of a problem and come up with a way to solve it with a program. Note that pretty much everything has "already been done", but you can always look at what "they" have done and do it better.