PDA

View Full Version : [other] Old Gateway with wonky CD drive, How can I install?

ThrobbingBrain66
January 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I aquired an old Gateway Solo 9300 laptop from a friend of mine. It had Windows 98 on it, but I'm trying to put linux on it. Unfortunately I'm running in to one major problem: the CD drive is wonky.

It sounds odd, but I can only boot from the cd drive once or twice before it stops working. After that, I have to leave the laptop alone for a while. After I come back, it'll boot a few more times if I'm lucky.

The real problem happens when I actually do get a CD booted. For some reason, after a seemingly random amount of time, the CD drive just drops the CD. I get an error message about not being able to mount the CD drive and that the media may be missing. After this happens, there's nothing I can do.

I've tried LiveCDs, alternate CDs, other distros, etc. I've used md5sums to make sure my iso files and burns were good.

The one time I was able to fully boot a distro, I used Damn Small Linux. I think I was only able to do this because I chose the option to load everything into RAM and run in from there. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that to install (maybe something to do with the old kernel they use).

So, my question is, what else can I do to get Linux installed on this thing?

spcwingo
January 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Does it support booting from USB?

boof1988
January 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Or... If the machine has a USB port but can't boot from it, maybe try the USB Boot CD (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/usb-boot-cds/) at PenDriveLinux. I haven't used one yet, but it looks like it might be able to help you since the CD drive is only used for boot-up.

r0g
January 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Sounds like you could have more than one problem in play here. Have you given the HD a good formatting and sector check? Maybe it is just the CD though so best eliminate it anyway.

Simplest way is install UnetBootin and make a bootable USB key.

If it doesn't support USB boot but does have a NIC and PXE you can use this tutorial to boot the alternative CD over the LAN: http://www.thehobbsfamily.net/how-tos/2008/07/28/setting-pxe-boot-server-under-ubuntu-hardy

These instructions are should be good for Intepid also, although Intrepid seems to have lost some support for older hardware so I'd recommend trying Hardy first.

ThrobbingBrain66
January 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Or... If the machine has a USB port but can't boot from it, maybe try the USB Boot CD (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/usb-boot-cds/) at PenDriveLinux. I haven't used one yet, but it looks like it might be able to help you since the CD drive is only used for boot-up.

This option is very promising but I keep getting dropped into BusyBox during boot. I'll play around with this a bit more and let you know what I find.

Thanks!

Dark_AvengerX
November 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM
This option is very promising but I keep getting dropped into BusyBox during boot. I'll play around with this a bit more and let you know what I find.

Thanks!
I know whats up.

First your HDD may be failing.
Next is that the computer overheats.
Of course follow the help with the usb boot cd.