PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Installing a .exe?

CluelessLinuxUser
January 28th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to install a .exe file onto Linux,
the programs name is DriverMagician.exe and it's located on my desktop.

I'm trying to format back to Windows XP.
So anyones help would be greatly appreciated, tips on formatting from Linux to Windows XP would be awesome too...

Thanks in advance.

Brian

LowSky
January 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM
yea.. um... linux doesn't natively run Windows files, like .exe's

you could run WINE (it in the repos) that could run the program

abn91c
January 28th, 2009, 01:05 AM
if you are installing windows and removing linux, boot from the windows cdrom and just run the setup

mkvnmtr
January 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I ddddddon't think you can format back to windows with anything. Maybe you should explain what you want to do. If it is reinstall windows it should be easy.

CluelessLinuxUser
January 28th, 2009, 01:21 AM
yea.. um... linux doesn't natively run Windows files, like .exe's

you could run WINE (it in the repos) that could run the program

i've installed wine...
i've actually got a few .exe's installed that run, but i didn't install any of them...
a family friend usually fixes our pc

i don't have the windows xp cd...
i'm going to burn a copy of xp pro to a cd-r after i backup my drives w/ DriveMagician.exe

what i'm asking is if anyone knows the commands to install .exe programs...
so i can install it, and get it over with. haha

handydan918
January 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Point is there is no command to run a .exe file. If it will run in wine, that's fine, but .exe files are not written for linux. You'd do as well to try to install a .deb on Windows.

cariboo
January 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
You can backup your files in Linux without using any windows programs. The easiest way it to open Nuatilus (Places-->Home Folder), press Ctrl-h to unhide the hidden files and directories, Go to Edit-->Select All, then Edit-->Copy. Next navigate to the location you want to save the files and click Edit-->Paste. Linux file management works exactly like using explorer in Windows (but much better), so no need to use complicated to install windows programs.

Jim

CluelessLinuxUser
January 28th, 2009, 04:18 AM
You can backup your files in Linux without using any windows programs. The easiest way it to open Nuatilus (Places-->Home Folder), press Ctrl-h to unhide the hidden files and directories, Go to Edit-->Select All, then Edit-->Copy. Next navigate to the location you want to save the files and click Edit-->Paste. Linux file management works exactly like using explorer in Windows (but much better), so no need to use complicated to install windows programs.

Jim

well, the only thing i'm trying to backup is my drivers...
i was trying to run MagicianDriver.exe, but when i clicked open, nothing happened
but i have a Steam.exe that opens when i click it, but it won't open for magiciandriver.exe... so i'm just confused

jrusso2
January 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I have used driver magician in Windows it backs up your drivers. Its going to look for WIndows drivers doubt it will even work on Linux.