PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye ubuntuforums

dragos240
January 28th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but now i feel i have to leave, i have a's in my 3rd quarter grades but last quarter's wasn't too great, i'm not sure what will happen, and i'm fearfull of what will happen now, i'm very scared, and very sad, for 2 reasons, 1 is that i didn't try at all in the last quarter till the end, and i'm not sure what to do, the second one is that i don't know what will happen and that scares me the most, so for now, i will have to leave, i don't know for how long, i don't know, it might be until tomorrow, it might be till next year, or forever, all i want you guys to know is that you've been a great community and that i'll miss you.

Goodbye,
Dragos240

Sealbhach
January 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Good luck dude, I know how it is with the forums, I spend waaaaaayyyy to much time here.;)

cardinals_fan
January 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
You should definitely put your academics first. I'll probably be cutting back myself next year once I have four AP classes in my schedule.

dragos240
January 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
The outcome looks decent and i might be able to still come back here, Luckyly for me i have an incentive, if i get all A's for this quarter and next quarter i will get a brand new shiny system 76 laptop :D . Hopefully i can pull it together so i can get this, if i do i'll have 3 things for me

1. The laptop
2. A good homework habbit
3. A Higher self esteme.

My dad is about 3/4 the way through and thinks that i worked hard enough, he's gotten through the bad stuff so hopefully the outcome is positive.

Mason Whitaker
January 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
2. A good homework habbit
3. A Higher self esteme.You really should focus more in school, its habit and esteem

wolfen69
January 28th, 2009, 03:17 AM
i hope you do good in school. the forums will always be around. do what you have to do first. then you can play.

chucky chuckaluck
January 28th, 2009, 03:18 AM
best excuse for leaving, so far.

kingbilly
January 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
best excuse for leaving, so far.

i thought it was going to be one of those "why i'm leaving ubuntu"
i should leave the forums too, just for the night.
i've been home from work for 6 hours and haven't even touched my homework yet ;)

kevdog
January 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Like to say I feel sorry for you -- but I don't. I lived through those days a long time ago -- and survived all the distractions. Back then all we had was pine for email and vi for text editors, along with xedit for a graphing program. You'll get through it. I didn't get any computer however at the end of the road. Once one road ends, another starts.

dragos240
January 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Like to say I feel sorry for you -- but I don't. I lived through those days a long time ago -- and survived all the distractions. Back then all we had was pine for email and vi for text editors, along with xedit for a graphing program. You'll get through it. I didn't get any computer however at the end of the road. Once one road ends, another starts.

And it already has i have all A's so far, i think i'm gonna do alright, but i think i'm going to lay off the forums for a while and make sure i don't rush and do quanity over quality, it's better when quality comes first ;). But i'll be back, don't worry!

t0p
January 28th, 2009, 04:14 PM
i think i'm going to lay off the forums for a while
Whoa man! This is a web forum we're talking about, not crack cocaine! Seriously, you ought to go to a shrink and get your addictive personality looked at.

But i'll be back, don't worry!

I'm not worried. But maybe you should be...

dragos240
January 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Whoa man! This is a web forum we're talking about, not crack cocaine! Seriously, you ought to go to a shrink and get your addictive personality looked at.

I'm not worried. But maybe you should be...

http://www.boards2go.com/smiley/rolleyes.gif

kavon89
January 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You really should focus more in school, its habit and esteem

... and luckily, not luckyly.

Stay focused in school and get all of your school work and studying done before goofing off and wasting time doing other stuff. In the end all that will matter is what you actually learned in school, particularly in subjects which relate to your future careers and goals.

So? Lots of things can become habitual for a person and be called an addiction. People throwing away their whole lives for a virtual world is a serious problem, see See World of Warcrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft#Game_addiction) with 11.5 million subscribers.

dragos240
January 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
... and luckily, not luckyly.

Stay focused in school and get all of your school work and studying done before goofing off and wasting time doing other stuff. In the end all that will matter is what you actually learned in school, particularly in subjects which relate to your future careers and goals.

I thought it was that, but firefox's spell checker told otherwise. As they say, never trust a fox.

butlins
January 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Why leave? just set aside 20-30 minutes each day and bob's your uncle

73ckn797
January 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Discipline, Organization.

Do the school work, get it over each day and then if time allows, browse the forums. As said earlier limit your time and stick with it.

buntunub
January 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but now i feel i have to leave, i have a's in my 3rd quarter grades but last quarter's wasn't too great, i'm not sure what will happen, and i'm fearfull of what will happen now, i'm very scared, and very sad, for 2 reasons, 1 is that i didn't try at all in the last quarter till the end, and i'm not sure what to do, the second one is that i don't know what will happen and that scares me the most, so for now, i will have to leave, i don't know for how long, i don't know, it might be until tomorrow, it might be till next year, or forever, all i want you guys to know is that you've been a great community and that i'll miss you.

Goodbye,
Dragos240

Woah! This is written almost like a "dear John" letter...

1. These are just forums, and Ubuntu is just an OS, albeit a fantastic one. Your school studies are your future, and success or failure will dramatically impact the rest of your life! So in light of the above, which is more important? Linux can be a source of future income, so it is worth pursuing both as a study and a hobby, but the aspects of Linux which earn people good money tend not to be that interesting. So if your going to continue to pursue Linux then keep it in the perspective that most suits your needs.

spoons
January 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Put it this way:

1. Concentrate on your studies
2. Achieve awesome grades
3. Get an excellent job and excellent pay
4. In your spare time be a Ubuntu developer! (there is no greater honour, right?) ;)

Your grades will shape your future. You sohuld work as hard as you can to get the best grades you can.

Gizenshya
January 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
well, I might as well throw in my $.02, too...

addictions. Activities are addictions when they impact your life negatively, for an extended period of time, AND the person has significant trouble stopping the action(s). An addictive personality isn't necessary.

By you saying what you said, you don't seem to fit the definition. Seeing something for what it is (something enjoyable but 'optional' thats interfering with your goals) and changing your actions because of it is mature and appropriate.

Balancing work and play is something everyone has to deal with. And, depending on (nature and nurture), it can be easier for some than others.

Rules help a lot. For instance, a rule to only allow yourself ubuntu forums for 1 hour a day, or only after your work for the next day is completed, or only between the hours of x and x. Mix and match, but the point is, do whats best for you. You don't have to shut out things that you like to do entirely, as its possible to bring on other problems (boredom, etc.). The key word is Balance. ;)

aktiwers
January 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Have fun and goodbye!

Don't worry too much about that, I am at my 3. year and I promise you that no one goes through university without those scary times and thoughts.

Again don't worry - it will all work out ;)

Cheers

dragos240
January 30th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've already done my daily jobs for today, schoolwork + homework and a little bit of makeup for monday that i was sick. And i'm still sick, but at least i can stand up and do whatever i do normally, exept i have to take tissue breaks, :p . I want to work for myself one day so i am trying now... everything so far is good, i'm still getting a's as of now and it's 2 weeks into the quarter. Usually i crash and burn after the first 2 days and it goes all downhill from there, but everything right now is good :) . I think it's that burning flame reminding me that i am not a windows slave any longer and that i use linux and i am proud! (Wait, did that make sense?) Anyways i have a lot more things pushing me on now. That new system 76 laptop waiting for me, my dad rooting for me, mrs. hopping (annoying teacher assistant) isn't nagging me as often, and more teachers smile at me, plus you guys here at the forums. Plus this topic was a quick one in spite of my dad getting absolutely furious and ripping out the cords of my computer and taking it out of here. I just posted this originally so people wouldn't wonder, "Oh where's dragos". But it's a big community anyways, so i don't know if any people would notice 1 person was gone. Anyways, my cat is being cute, i'm trying to figure out a way to fix that human theme from turning white when i enable compiz, but i'm not going to leave. I feel happy here in the virtual world where we are free, i get to write as i please and express myself freely, unlike in the real life, where most people hide themselves. All that counts here is that i get all a's and get all my homework done, and everything will be great. Well nice talking, i think i'm going to mess around with compiz for a while.

See ya,
Dragos240

Ulysses
January 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hey

Thought I'd pipe in myself, here.
Been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now (actually, I have been using it for a little bit longer than my daughter has been here - almost 3 years) and I end up feeling kind of guilty alot. Because of the fact that I don't really know anything about programming or about kernels (beyond the most basic of basic concepts that can be grasped by Wikipedia) and yet I expect to post here and get all of the answers I need for free. I mean, seriously, I post here and I want and I lurk and I eventually get my answers from someone who is willing to take the time to help me with my problems. As a result, I can manage the computer component of my life cost free (All of my computers are old and are gifts from friends or family ; I bet I've spent 200$ CDN on computer equipment in the last 5 years). I want to contribute to the community, I really do, but I don't know what I can do or where I can start to do it.
And here are you, trying to get good grades in school so you can hit the ground running once you get out. I never went to school beyond highschool (when they told me that I couldn't go to school to be a novelist and that all I had to do was write to become a novelist, I quit school and went to work and wrote at night and on the weekends - I'm still not a novelist, and I still work, and I still write at night and on the weekends, but I've got a pretty good existence all told) so I cannot imagine the pressures you are under. But I do want to say this:
You haven't helped me directly in the past - I don't think - but I am sure that something you did to help someone else, helped me. So, thank you for being who you are.
Go back to school and take your time and do well.
You will look back on this and laugh, someday.
It's never as bad as you think it is, once you step back and take a good hard look.
Hope all things are well with you in the future

Regards,
RAR

dragos240
January 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hey

Thought I'd pipe in myself, here.
Been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now (actually, I have been using it for a little bit longer than my daughter has been here - almost 3 years) and I end up feeling kind of guilty alot. Because of the fact that I don't really know anything about programming or about kernels (beyond the most basic of basic concepts that can be grasped by Wikipedia) and yet I expect to post here and get all of the answers I need for free. I mean, seriously, I post here and I want and I lurk and I eventually get my answers from someone who is willing to take the time to help me with my problems. As a result, I can manage the computer component of my life cost free (All of my computers are old and are gifts from friends or family ; I bet I've spent 200$ CDN on computer equipment in the last 5 years). I want to contribute to the community, I really do, but I don't know what I can do or where I can start to do it.
And here are you, trying to get good grades in school so you can hit the ground running once you get out. I never went to school beyond highschool (when they told me that I couldn't go to school to be a novelist and that all I had to do was write to become a novelist, I quit school and went to work and wrote at night and on the weekends - I'm still not a novelist, and I still work, and I still write at night and on the weekends, but I've got a pretty good existence all told) so I cannot imagine the pressures you are under. But I do want to say this:
You haven't helped me directly in the past - I don't think - but I am sure that something you did to help someone else, helped me. So, thank you for being who you are.
Go back to school and take your time and do well.
You will look back on this and laugh, someday.
It's never as bad as you think it is, once you step back and take a good hard look.
Hope all things are well with you in the future

Regards,
RAR

Thats fine, i haven't helped all that much, but i try to sometimes, i think the more you post and ask questions, and you see someone with a similar problem you may be able to help. I've been here only for a half a year and i've done my share of work from the questions i asked. You can do the same.

vikramaditya
January 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Usually i crash and burn after the first 2 days and it goes all downhill from there, but everything right now is good :) .
Lemme tell ya, son - when the hens won't lay, cows won't milk, corn won't grow, and the bank takes yer back 40, ya just gotta keep punchin' 'til it all lines up for ya ag'in. Like that Sinatra dude said, "that's life"! :p

-grubby
January 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
<snip>
See ya,
Dragos240

<snip>
Regards,
RAR

You guys should try some line breaks. tl;dr

dragos240
January 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM
You guys should try some line breaks. tl;dr

Line breaks?

-grubby
January 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Line breaks?

The equivalent of hitting the 'return' key:

dragos240
January 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM
The equivalent of hitting the 'return' key:

Oh i see. Hmm... Like this?;

Ello there!

Am i using a "line break" then?

parker13
January 31st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Bye.

dragos240
January 31st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Bye.

Wow seems nobody reads the recent posts of a thread any more.

parker13
January 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
Wow seems nobody reads the recent posts of a thread any more.

Oh, sorry, welcome back.

dragos240
January 31st, 2009, 03:56 AM
Never really left, but thanks anyways :D

dragos240
February 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I have to go now, instead of starting a new topic, i decided to continue this one, if all goes well, i'll be back in april. Cya then!